Schecter bass set-up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dtyndall, Dec 10, 2012.

1. dtyndall

dtyndall

Hi guys,

probably kind of a noobish question. I've owned my Schecter Custom-4 bass since 2005 and have yet to really do any kind of set-up on it. I changed my strings about a year ago and stupidly took off all the strings; ever since then it seems my action is ridiculously high. I also own a Studio-4 fretless that is super low by comparison, and much to my liking.

Okay so how do I adjust the action on this dang thing?
  2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Just like every other bass. Check out the stickies at the top of the hardware and setup section. There are very good tutorials on how to do your own setups.
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

As already mentioned... check out the stickies section... lots of good info there. After you've read it, if you've got questions we've got answers.

Also, there's action and then there's relief. They're different things. Looking down the neck of your Studio-4 fretless, take note of the degree of straightness of the fretboard. Now look down the neck of your Custom-4. Is there a difference? Is one neck more curved than the other? That difference is called relief. Check out the stickies for info on how to adjust relief.

Best....
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Don't worry, there's nothing stupid about taking all the strings off at once if you know how to do a setup. I'll add that I've never run across a problem as described but you're not the first to tell the same tale. Thanks I'm building a list of basses not to buy based on these stories. I had the neck off my old G-3 for about 15 years and when I restored it, a brief setup and it was flawless. Stories like yours mystify me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Not sure if serious, or....
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

The strings you used as replacements may have been higher tension causing more bow in neck which would cause higher action. Learn to do truss rod adjustment for near flat neck and bridge saddle adjustments for action on neck thats near flat.
  8. 96tbird

Half way serious, edit, I'm getting carried away.

This is a case of new strings being different construction than the old. More tension at pitch. Adjust truss as all you fellas have already said here. +1 and all that. Sorry the OP waited a year to look it up on the Internet. He could've been In shape all this time.
  9. dtyndall

dtyndall

Thanks for all the input guys. I actually replaced the old ones with the exact same brand, some Elixirs. Not sure if that could still account for the different tension.

I actually bought a Fender Mark Hoppus yesterday and adjusting the height of the strings was super simple. For whatever reason adjusting the action on this Schecter is alluding me.
  10. 96tbird

See, you now have a Fender and all is right in the world! 8)