Schecter Diamond P or Stiletto Studio?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Mar 28, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

I'm considering picking up one of these two basses. They're both the same price (used) and I've read some good things on both. Unfortunately there are almost no videos available for the Stiletto.

I can't play either before I buy so I'd appreciate some input.

Looking for a bass capable of classic rock, some 80s (Duran Duran type stuff) and VERY little (but some) jazz.

Also, how is the build quality of these?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

The stiletto studio would be a good choice. it's got a nice design, versatility, neck-through body, and a 3-band eq to shape up your desired bass sound. also there are demos of the stiletto studio on youtube.

Plus, you can't go wrong with schecter. they make awesome bass guitars that costs under $1000.

3. ronin614

ronin614

Crystalman85,
    Thanks for the input.
    Anyone care to weigh in?

4. Joedog

Joedog

I owned a Studio and found virtually no faults. It was very versatile but couldn't quite nail that P sound. But, it could do a lot more. It was extremely player friendly: played so easy. I tried a Diamond P4 in the store and while it sounded and looked good, the Studio just felt like a better built, much higher quality bass. A truly great value in my opinion. I really am a Schecter fan (especially their earlier American gear), but the P just felt cheap to me. YMMV....maybe I just played a rare dud. For reference, I sold my Studio 5 in VERY near mint condition, no case for $375 (w/a new set of flats on it....for your music I'd probably go w/rounds).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ronin614

ronin614

Joedog,
    Thanks. Just curious, can it get close enough to the P sound?
    I now that's a relative question.
    With shipping the Stiletto will be abt 300 and the Diamond P will be abt 325.

7. Joedog

Joedog

You are right: "close enough" is VERY subjective. I'll just say "pretty close", which is equally subjective...LOL. More noticeable diff. at home practicing. At a gig, not many would even notice the diff. Great price BTW!!!

8. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

I have a neck through Schecter very much like the studio. Like many I upgraded the electronics, and have emg pickups in it. I wouldn't say it's that much like a p bass, but sounds great, and would be great for any rock.

Great neck too.

9. fourstringgirl

fourstringgirl

Media:
    I've owned a Diamond P for a couple years now. I love mine. It feels like playing a P bass. If you are looking for a more refined instrument than a P bass then this is not your bass. The humbucker allows you to dial in a fair amount of growl to your sound. I like the string through body option. It also top loads if that is your preference. The bridge is massive - something you don't get on similarly priced Fenders. The pickups in mine are passive but super hot.

In short, it is a no frills $500 bass. I found zero problems with mine from the finish to the set-up. Solid bass. Had it since December of 2011. If it were stolen, I'd buy another one.

10. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

No experience with any other Schecter instruments, but I have a Stiletto Studio. Between the 3-band EQ & blending the pickups, I can get a heck of a range of tones out of it.

11. BrianToska

BrianToska

I can't speak for the Diamond P but I used to have a Stiletto Elite. It has the most comfortable neck, Very light weight and a modern/active EMG tone. I regret getting rid of it, but we all have at least one that got away. Bottom line: I recommend the Stiletto.