Schecter Diamond series vs MIM Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Upecko, Nov 6, 2012.

Which bass for pop punk/emo rock?

1. Schecter Diamond P

65 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. MIM Fender P

112 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. MIM Fender J

41 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Upecko

Upecko

First post here.
    Anyway, just started playing bass for a pop punk band and I'm going out to buy a new bass this week. I work at a music store so I can get a GREAT discount on Schecters and an okay discount on Fenders. The thing is, I'm normally a guitarist so I want your guys's input. What are your thoughts on a Schecter diamond P bass vs. say a MIM Fender as far as tone, build quality, etc.? The Schecter would be a lot cheaper than the Fender for me and I need a bass for our shows coming up this month. Have any of you had experience with the Diamond series P?

If I were to go Fender I don't know if I would pick a J or P...so there lies another factor.

Thanks in advance.

2. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Well you can't go wrong with a Fender P. It's a fantastic bass sound that just plain works. That being said, I'd vote for the Schecter (hint: maybe add a poll to this thread). I say this, even though I haven't played one, because it seems like a better purchase. Not only is there the standard P pickup, but the bridge pickup can be a single coil, like a J pickup, or a humbucker. That in and of itself is a selling point, in my opinion. The main reason the Diamond P initially caught my eye is being offered as a 5er. Not sure if that sways your opinion.

Play both unplugged side by side (with a strap) and choose which is more comfortable. Then, plug them in and let your ears decide.

Good luck!

3. MTelinkangas

MTelinkangas

Choose the one that feels best. I've never played Schecter P-bass but i just got Schecter Hellraiser 5 bass and i have been playing various Schecter guitars. I think that they are good (at least every one that i have played so far...) I'm quite sure that both will do the job so pick up the one you like.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've owned a Schecter and it was great a bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

This. How it sounds and how it plays are crucial. If you prefer the one with a better discount that's great - but get the one you connect with best if possible.
    The bass, amp and cab and effects if any are essential factors in getting where you want tonally, experiment with as many of those factors as you can to get to where you want. If you don't have a precise tone in mind, so much the better - you'll need to work with the overall sound of the band to get the best balance as I understand it.

On a separate note what exactly is pop punk? It sounds like classical bluegrass in terms of internal conflict?? I don't know how to phrase it clearly. Is this broadly accurate?: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_punk surely it's pop rock???

7. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I had the 5 string version and except for a couple of "design" issues (weight, 35" scale and 5 in line headstock none of which are a problem with the 4 string version) it was one of the best playing and sounding non-Fender P bass I ever owned and this is comparing it to a Fender Am. Dlx P Bass, so I know of which I speak.

The Schecter is a Strong sounding Bass:

Check out "Time It Comes" & "Love Crashing Down"
    http://www.visualsoundrecording.com/PhilMusic.html (played mostly on the B string)

Me with the Fender.....
    I don't have any pictures of me with my Schecter, but here is a picture I took of it (proof I had one)

Attached Files:

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

A P with flats will do the trick... It will always do the trick, and will never do anything but the trick.

Hope this helps.

9. capnjagg

capnjagg

As long as it has a P pickup, I think you're good. Like others have said, try em all and pick the one that plays/sounds best to you. And that's not to say that you can't use a J for pop punk/emo. The bassist for the Sidekicks uses a J iirc. But to me, when I think of pop punk and emo, I think of bands like Blink-182, Green Day, Jawbreaker, Cap'n Jazz, Sunny Day Real Estate, and the like, all of whom have bassists who use P's, and all of whom have nice, chunky bass tones. In fact, Fender just put out a signature model for the bassist of SDRE.

10. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

I owned a Diamond J and it was excellent. That Schecter line is (was?) made in Korea at one of the established guitar factories and was very high quality....

11. MTelinkangas

MTelinkangas

Every schecter i've played has been good. Of course there's lots of higher end makers but for the price schecters are high quality. I've played mainly guitar so my preferences are from guitars and just two hellraiser basses but i don't think that their basses are worse than their guitars.

12. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

wow....this thread is 12 hours old and it hasn't turned into a pro-fender anti-schecter flame war yet. that must be some kind of record!

13. tdub0199

tdub0199

Both Fender & Schecter make solid basses in "that" price range, the only difference I have found between my Fender P Bass and My Schecter Diamond P is that the pickups in the Schecter seem hotter..... It's like a P on steroids.....

14. klejst

klejst

Go for the P!

15. danharris

danharris

the instrument does not choose which genres it plays. buying a "jazz" bass will not make you play jazz.

16. chef wong

chef wong Banned

Without playing each individual bass, I'd have to suggest the MIM Fender, especially if it's a Fender Special Run with the better body wood.

If that doesn't work out, how about a good Fender at a Schecter price? Squier Classic Vibe...

17. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I can't help but think MMBongo will pop up with his usual Fender bashing post.

18. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
  19. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

In my experience, Schecter are great instruments for the price.

20. EXCITERBASS

EXCITERBASS

Straight hands makes pop-punk with any bass...just should feel with heart....sound begins there))

21. Blankandson

Blankandson

I played the MIM J 5-string in a SA store recently and was impressed, both with how it felt but also with the electronics built-in. Don't know about the P but if it has same electronics you will have a wide choice of different sounds and tones from the bass itself. The J was priced around $800.