schecter session?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzyteen, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jazzyteen

jazzyteen

So I saw that the new Schecter session basses will be available soon. I have never been a schecter fan myself but I have to say these look pretty nasty (in a good way)!!! Especially the riot 5 session (swamp ash body, maple fingerboard, canadian maple neck, active pickup, bolt-on... Some say the look maybe boring but I say who cares if it plays and sounds good.

What ya'll think? have any of you tried it yet? I can't wait to try them, worst case scenario change the pickups/some hardware if you don't like em. For the price it probably still will be good even if you change the hardware/pickups.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/session/riot-5-session-detail

Peace
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Schecter offers a lot of bass for the money, IMO. And I generally like their aesthetics. I don't care much for the offset blocks, though.
  3. autotech6506

autotech6506

anyone seen one of these in person? my local shop has had a riot 5 on order since the NAMM show. as soon as it comes in they are supposed to call me. can't wait
  4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I picked up a Schector Diamond Series omen 5 at Christmas and for the $500 price point it is very hard to beat. This review comes from a guy who has played nothing but G&L s for decades. A G&L its not but it didn't cost what a G&L does. Holds it own in quality playability sound. If I only had $500 and could only afford 1bass this would be it

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I like it. It's going to sound huge with that big EMG setup.

Korean build = good stuff. Final inspection and setup in the USA shop.

Bang to buck ratio is great at $919 msrp. No upgrades needed, least of all the pickups.

I just upgraded the elecs on my fancy-woods neck thru Riot. It came stock with EMG HZ's. It now has EMG DC35's and a 2-band BTC. It is now a really nice bass.

[​IMG]
  7. Templar

Apparently, the street price for the Riot Session 5 is $650 shipped from the big online retailers. When Sweetwater gets them in stock I think I'll grab a light one. Looks like an amazing deal to me.
  8. autotech6506

autotech6506

As soon it comes in to my shop they are supposed to call me. I'll post up pics and some initial impressions.
  9. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

Templar, we have the same bass! Except mine has the PX pickups. Love it. Like the DCs?
  10. Templar

Great. Looking forward to your post.

I'm interested to know if the ebony half-blocks are real ebony inlays, and more importantly....

...If the blocks extend over the fretboard edge, serving as large, easy to see, side markers. If they do, I'm def in for a light weight one (if any under 9.5lbs actually exist).

Sub'd
  11. Templar

Yeah the DC's are great. I've always loved them with a BTC in any bass. I had an extra pair laying around here, along with a BTC unit. I was looking for a nice bass with HZ's in it just so I could do the upgrade.

Finally had some time to spend fooling with the BTC dip switches. This bass is amazing. With the elec upgrade it now has a sweet grinding tone at the low notes, a sound I've been after for a long time.

The Riot Session 5 should sound great with a DC and a J. I can feel the GAS building up. ;)
  12. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

it appears they do
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/stiletto-4-session-detail

(on the top right of the large pic, there's a small block then four smaller blocks, these are the additional photos.)

from the pics, it also appears that the neck is 3-piece maple instead the 1-piece + scarf-joint headstock.
  13. Templar

Ah, thanks. I was looking at the fiver pics which don't show that side of the neck. The Session 4 pics show that the blocks do comprise the side markers. Great.

I also briefly saw there, that the neck is indeed 3-piece lammed maple (that pic seems to be gone now) with a nice volute. The headstock looks to have a lammed facing too. Nice touches. Want.
  14. Templar

Okay a couple cups-o-coffee in me now, cobwebs cleared out.

The above link is for the "Stiletto" Session 4. Each model shows some different pics. Looks like the only difference between the Stiletto and the Riot is the body shape. Necks look to be identical.

The more I look, the more I like. If I could add one feature it would be an asymmetrical neck profile. But hey, at the price point...
  15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

that's where I'm at. when I first saw these I didn't think much of them. then I checked out the spec's and additional pics and it looks like quite a bit of bass for the money. strongly considering this one now.
  16. autotech6506

autotech6506

They are in fact real ebony. I managed to find a video on youtube of a schecter rep talking about the session Series.
  17. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

found it
  19. Templar

Perfect. Somebody finally figured out that big, highly visible side markers are more important than fancy pearl face markers. Schecter must have let players put these basses together, instead of marketing geniuses.

The Sessions look like no-nonsense, nut 'n bolts basses. I expect the build and setup to be at the usual Schecter level, which is pretty darn good. I already know the elecs will kick ass.
  20. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

It looks interesting; has an active 3-band EQ, EMGs, and nearly the same neck dimensions as an Ibby SR (1.5mm thicker - same nut width, but 35" scale).

I'll give it a try.
  21. Templar

18v preamp too. I wonder if the preamp will have internal dip switches to set hi-freq centers.

Or if it will be a "manufacturers grade" version (sans dip switches) like Godin used to do with their BTC units.