Schecter USA

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Hi Justin,

Could you share with us your experience of playing Schecter USA basses? As so many of the USA Schecter basses were made for order, I've never had a chance to play one in person. Many thanks! :)
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

I have several from back in the day. They are very, very special. Made by some pretty hardcore Japanese craftsmen, including the main man Shigeki who is still there today apparently. Just extremely fine instruments. Always lots of "guts" in the tone, wonderful necks, etc. I have probably four different ones from when I endorsed them in '94-'97: Hellcat 4 string, Hellcat 8 string, Tempest, and a Jazz bass type.
  3. FFTT

FFTT

Back in '79 my buddy & I heard about this company called Schecter that was building custom basses for Entwistle and guitars for Townshend.

That builder turned out to be Tom Anderson.

They started out as an upscale parts supplier much like Warmoth, but neither of us were interested in building our own, so we had Chuck Levin's contact them to see if they would consider a custom built one for each of us.

I ordered mine with a one piece Hawaiian Koa body and a Pau Ferro Tele-Bass neck. Passive Hot-Vintage Push Pull Pots and PJ configuration.

He ordered a fretless 2 piece book matched Koa body and Pau Ferro neck.

It took them 6 months to find a single piece of Koa nice enough and strong enough to build a one piece body.

This was basically the first year where they accepted complete build orders.

Both were finished with Watco Danish Oil.

This is how mine turned out. :D

[​IMG]

A total one-off '79 Tom Anderson Built USA Schecter

I wanted an Entwistle Worthy Bass and he sure did deliver!

Around '92, I set it up to run BEAD and that's the way it stays.
  4. Dragan

Dragan

FFTT thats an awesome looking bass! I dont like PJ conf but the looks is TOP!
    any more pics (pleeease?)
  5. Register to disable this ad