schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkbass45, Feb 25, 2013.

1. punkbass45

punkbass45

If anyone out there uses a schecter, what model and what styles do u prefer? :)

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I personally like the stiletto basses. I like those basses for their smooth warm sounds and their smooth curvacious design. I plan to get a schecter stiletto extreme 5-string bass sometime soon. I own a 4-string version and would like to get a 5-string version.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The Diamond P and Diamond J are great basses for the money. Better than a MIM Fender IMO.

4. Davo-London

Davo-London

I'd go Hellraiser!

Vol/Vol/3-band EQ : )

Davo

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

MODEL T for me WOOOOO ROCK

7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Hey punkbass45,

I've seen you start a few threads over the past few days about Fender and Schecter. Are you looking to buy one or the other?

Plenty of people on this forum play Schecter and praise it as a great value. I know I had GAS for a Model-T myself. They have several original designs, and some Fender-like designs too. There's also a Schecter club where you can find posts on models different people play. A link to part 3: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/schecter-owners-club-part-3-a-912037/?highlight=schecter club

8. punkbass45

punkbass45

Yes I am very torn between the two. The schecter I want is a little more complicated than some of the fenders I am interested in. I just don't really understand the knobs. I am a newer bassist and I'm not very experianced in tone customization

9. ggvicviper

I figured you were new to bass - you also sound pretty young.

Which basses do you have in mind from the two brands? I can clear up some of what the knobs do and why you would use them.

10. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

I've been playing a Model T since last September. It's an absolute dream to play, and is very simple in terms of tone: two volumes and one tone control. Passive p/ups so no battery required.

It's actually a good option if you're looking at Fenders: it's basically a P-bass, but with a extra Jazz pickup in the bridge position. And the neck is, as lowfreq33 suggests, better than on the Mexican Fenders I've tried.

11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Old ones. Texas-built pre-1987 Schecters are the bomb.

12. Gonzo64

Gonzo64

I have a flawless Stiletto Extreme 5 on ebay for 299.99. Love the bass, just not a 5-string guy. I also own the Extreme 4, and it's my go-to bass.

13. mogpipe

mogpipe

I have a Schecter C4. Looks, plays and sounds great.

14. NickTej22

NickTej22

I just picked up a stiletto studio 5, not sure how great that is up against the other schecters. But I love the damn thing. P.s.there's a whole schecter owners club thread on here. Post up some pictures!

15. GM60466

GM60466

I have a C4 and I love it.

16. badstonebass

badstonebass

I have several Schecter instruments. 2 guitars and a bass. I have the Stiletto Custom 4 and for ME it is the nicest bass I have out of 5. It sounds great, it plays great, and it only weighs 6 pounds! It has been my go to bass for about 4/5 years.

The other Schecter stuff I have has all been extremely well made and a great value.

17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Decent basses, especially for the money. I never considered a Schecter until I started gassing for an 8-string. I ended up getting a Stiletto Studio 8. I like it enough that I'm considering a Diamond P5.

18. jlepre

jlepre

19. punkbass45

punkbass45

I'm really torn between the schecter stiletto and the new fender pawn shop mustang bass. I am aware that there are many different kinds of stilettos but I honestly like them all. But I'm leaning most towards the custom-4 or the elite-4.

20. NickTej22

NickTej22

The studio 4 is the best(4 string) of the stilettos is my guess (based on price) I LOVE mine. I personally hate anything fender, that's just me though.

21. ggvicviper

The Mustang and the Silettos are COMPLETELY different beasts.

The Pawn Shop Mustang is a short scale passive bass. The sound is very deep, not particularly bright because of the humbucker pickup. The controls are the volume, and the passive tone which rolls off high end sound frequencies. That means that the bass will sound darker when the tone knob is turned down, and brighter when it is turned up. Because the bass has a short scale of 30", the bass is easier to play for smaller hands, and will sound warmer.

The Stilleto basses are long scale, which means it will feel very different from the mustang. The sound will also have more definition, but not as "fat". They also have battery powered active electronics which will help you shape your tone a bit more at the bass. You have a volume knob, a blend knob (which allows you to blend the bass' two pickups for a sound that can range from deeper to round to snappier), and 2 band active equalization. The 2 band EQ has a treble knob (if you want to cut or boost the brightness of the instrument) and a bass knob (if you want to boost or cut the deepness or "boom").

I played both the Pawn Shop Mustang and the Elite 4. Either are nice instruments. I hope I can at. Least give you an idea of what to look for in the basses, but I suggest you try to grab hold of one to see for yourself. Either choice is a good one IMO.