1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

School me on Corvette Std

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hobobob74, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

I'm going to look at a corvette std tommorow. Don't know much about them, so what's some things too look for?

Guys asking 400, no case
  2. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

sounds like it is a rockbass for that price?
  3. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

That's what I was wondering, but how would you tell? Right now I'm just going on the guys word, but would it say rock bass on it?

If not, I'm assume 400 is a good deal.
  4. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i think it would say rockbass on the truss rod cover.
    ask warwick official for details here on the warwick sponsored thread
  5. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

And I miss typed, 400
  6. Gaius46

Gaius46

My first Corvette was an early 2000s model that I bought for $500 used. It was not a Rockbass. I recently sold it for $450. Warwicks seem to depreciate quickly and then level off at some price and stay there.

If its a Rockbass it'll say so on the truss rod cover. If its Korean made it'll say Pro on the cover. Korean made wicks are every bit as good as the German made ones but only cost about 50-60% of the German models.
  7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

If it's an older RockBass model, it will have a huge (tacky) "rockbass" logo on the headstock and 1 piece bridge.

If it's a new model, it will have the "W" logo on headstock and a 2 piece bridge (like the real deal Wicks).

In both cases the instrument will have white frets (steel or whatever that metal is) and a maple neck; the real Warwick Corvettes have bell brass frets and the neck is made of hard exotic woods (ovangkol or wenge - if it's an old model).

Keep this is mind: the truss rod cover piece that has stamped the name of the bass (Corvette, Streamer, etc) can be easily swapped; so the owner could have changed the one that said "RockBass" with one that says "Corvette Std". On the older models it would be futile because you'd need to also erase the giant logo & stick a "W" on it - but it would still have the 1 piece bridge.

Also normally the MIG/MIK 'Vettes don't have a coloured glossy finish; they have a natural finish. And the body is made either from bubinga or ash.

SO: if the bass has a bubinga/ash body, ovangkol/wenge neck, a 2 piece bridge and brass (bronze) frets is the real deal. If not, it's a RockBass.
  8. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the newer Rockbas models (with the 'W" logo) have a serial number impressed on the back of the headstock that starts with 'RB'
  9. charliefreak

charliefreak

+1
    Check out there website and print out the list of serial numbers, that should tell you exactly what year it is and everything.
  10. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Accurately stated, I believe.

The price may not be out of line. A year ago, I sold a MIG bubinga / wenge / ovangkol Corvette Standard for not much more than that (buyer correct me if I'm wrong!), and it included the very nice gig bag.

Do the check-over you would when buying any used instrument, just to make sure nothing's amiss. But I wouldn't say this is a "too good to be true" price necessarily.

There's been plenty of discussion here about the Rockbass and which of the MIK basses are ok and which aren't. You might want to read up on that before you go, just in case you get there and find out it's not MIG. It's possible you might want it anyway - just at a different price.