School of Rock Adult Program

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Super Iridium, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

I'm a new bass player with about a year's worth of self-instruction using the Hal Leonard method and theory books. I can play some simple tunes and have played a few times with others of similar skill.

Anyway, I visited the Philadelphia School of Rock with my kids a few weekends ago and found that they have an adult program too! I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this program, because it looks like something I could really enjoy and benefit from.

Thanks!

2. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

A good friend of mine does it here is Chicago. It's called Garage Band U.

It's actually started off as a School of Rock knock off. He has both a kid and an adult program.

It gives the late comers something akin to a garage band set up.

3. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    My girlfriend participates locally and has a great time!

4. Super Iridium

Excellent feedback, thanks guys!! I'm signing up, as I'm kind of getting tired being just a "bedroom" bass player. I will post results here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jusca

jusca

wow, that sounds cool! i was looking for something like this and there's one a bit far from me but it may be worth it.

7. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

ANyone in the CHicago area interested I can hook you up.

8. Super Iridium

I just like the idea of performing songs as a way of learning. Apparently that's what Paul Green believes in for teaching music to kids.

9. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

The local franchise is not very old and they are just starting their adult program. This weekend they are having what looks to be their first open house adult session. I signed up to check it out.

10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Have fun Super Iridium!!!
    I'm subscribed, to hear more about your experiences and progress.

11. Torkk

Torkk

I talked to a guitarist back 2012 about lessons he worked at the school of rock near me. He said no theory Ill show you how to play like smoke on the water. I was like ok cool, but I can do that with rocksmith thanx but no thanx lol

12. Super Iridium

I know it's not going to be a lot of theory, but I have so many books at home, I'm kind of up to my eyeballs in theory. I wanna just PLAY SONGS for a little bit too!

Anyway, I'm going to try to check it out this weekend. I will post what I see here! Thanks.

13. lyla1953

I was able to check these guys out for the first time yesterday.
    This location is only a year old so this is their first adult offering -It's called the "Grad Program"

My particular motivation is to add playing with other musicians and live audiences to my overall music education plan. After more than 40 years away from bass, my retirement allowed me to pick it up again roughly a year ago. I've had weekly instruction for roughly 7 months and completed Friedlands 3 method books. I'm currently working on his Building Walking bass Lines book. My instructor says I'm overdue for some real band experience. I've been reluctant because of self confidence and really not wanting the hassle of finding a band. That was agony years ago and I know it ain't much better today.

I have to say this Grad Program appeals to me.

How it works at this location;

Bands are created from the attendees and their instruments - surprisingly about 15 folks showed up and about the only instrument/position under staffed is a singer. There is enough for 3 bands (Bass, keys, guitar, drums) if everybody signs up.

The groups get 9 private 45 min lessons + 10, 2 hour rehearsals after which a live show is put on and a local pub/eatery. The program is 15 weeks long. While the lessons are 1 on 1, the rehearsals bring all the bands together over the 2 hour period. The 2 to 3 bands rehearse their songs (all different) so realistically actual rehearsal time will be 45mins to an hour during the 2 hour block.

Rehearsals are to occur in a new large fully equipped stage (lighting and all). The program supplies everything except your instrument and sheet music.

Cons; thus far there is really no emphasis on reading notation as far as I could ascertain related to the song selection. I don't know about the private instruction. I can already read at a beginning intermediate level. I was hoping for more here.

The other thing is there was a pretty wide spectrum in terms of players experience within the group - I would guess the experience would mostly be from the facilitating instructors, but who knows.

I haven't looked yet to see who the instructors actually are or their credentials. For me I am keeping my existing instructor so this is not a top priority - should be for most others I'd guess.

Last is cost. Tax, title and dealer prep for the entire 15 week deal is $860. (with a payment schedule spanning the 15 weeks). I have to say for what is provided and convenience, the cost is reasonable.

Most noteworthy was that fact that about 35% of the attendees were parents of kids that are already enrolled in other School of Rock programs - I have to say I was blown away at the genuine feeling of these parents as it relates to their kids and the other programs the franchise provides.
    I quote - "Our life revolves around School of Rock"

Personally, if I can figure out a few scheduling conflicts, I'll do this program. It just feels like fun!

14. Super Iridium

Well, I had my first live lesson on bass at the Philadelphia School of Rock, and I have to say that I was completely blown away by the teacher! Scott was friendly, knowledgeable, a great bass player and brought so many concepts into his teaching that I'm still going over what he said in my mind, three hours later. Wow, if this is what I've been missing, I can see why everyone is recommending live lessons on this website.

Anyway I recommend School of Rock - - and Scott-- wholeheartedly, and I can't wait until the next lesson.

15. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

i have been a grad school student for two years...great for the self confidence, and apparently i learn faster in context.... BUT School of Rock is being sued by Hal Leonard for copyright issues and they are trying to sell franchises as fast as they can to reduce liability. So our music director got offered part time and no benefits, and was not treated in an upstanding manner by the brand new owners who apparently didn't do enough due diligence.... and some of us have children in the program who are upset at having the only teacher they ever knew being yanked out from under them and having sketchy new hires running the classes

16. Super Iridium

Sorry to hear about the turmoil. I'm not familiar with the copyright issues and the turnover in instructors. I'm new to this school and only familiar with the Philadelphia office. But from what I can see, it appears to be well managed and staffed with decent, caring teachers.

17. lyla1953

Yea, the issue of sheet music came up during my intro meeting with them. The guys said flat out they don't give out sheet music or even recommend a source due to copyright.
    I get that and it didn't seem to be a big deal with the group.

Given that I'm in franchising at the corporate level for unrelated industries I reviewed the SOR FDD (Federal Disclosure Document) which is required by FTC law to disclose (amongst other things) all lawsuits for 5 years past. Their last FDD filing would be no older than May/July 2013. It did not site any lawsuits related to Hal Leonard or any copyright issues. If there is a suit, it must be very recent.

18. Super Iridium

That's interesting. I never thought to look at the franchise disclosure documents. I did check Westlaw, and there's no reference to any litigation filed in any Federal court by Hal Leonard against School of Rock. Of course, maybe the dispute is playing out in letters between the two companies' attorneys, rather than in a courtroom.

Anyway, whatever is going on legally doesn't seem to have affected the instruction that I'm getting, and I'm happy to recommend these guys, for what it's worth.

19. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

My wife and I (both 64) went to one at a local music store. We had four sessions. Each was great, we learned a lot and had a lot of fun. The other two members of our session were guitarist, my wife plays drums and I play bass. After the last session we formed a band with our class mates and have played a couple of open mic gigs. We love it. If your interested, go to Facebook and enter Subliminal Blue, we have four songs you can hear and pictures. If you can go, do it.