1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Schoolhouse Rock rocks!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bassteban

bassteban

I searched & was surprised to find no threads on this stuff. If you were alive & watching cartoons in the 70s(or not), you will trip. Check it out- some very funky bass all over it. I particularly dig 'I got 6', & though not funky(more Elton-esque), 'Hey Little 12 Toes' & 'Figure 8', a sweet Blossom Dearie number. Anyone else used to watch too much TV?
  2. gottawalk

gottawalk

I did a stage version of School House Rock, and it was a LOT of fun! Bought my first 5-string bass just before it and used it in the pit! Had a great time! I'm all for the School House Rock stuff! My wife's favorite is "I'm Just a Bill"

Good stuff! :hyper:
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Except I'm about to crash...
    :rolleyes:
    I'll check back in. BTW, my kids(6, 4 & 5 mos)love it- they've got several of the tunes down!
  4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

I am a MASSIVE Blossom Dearie fan, and came across a track called 'Unpack Your Adjectives' a while back somewhere on the net. Fun stuff.

http://www.school-house-rock.com/
  5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

I bought the DVD awhile ago - my sons aren't really 'book' people (caught that from their mother, really - I read books by the gross). Started playing along with and really was impressed by the musicality of those songs. My fave is "rufus xavier sasparilla", personally, but "figure 8" is pretty hip too.
  6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff

I love that Ween cover of "The Shot Heard 'Round The World".

"3 is the Magic Number" by Blind Melon is also awesome.
  7. alembicf1x

alembicf1x

My 8-year old son was talking about schoolhouse rock the other day, said he saw it at school, so it seems to have held up well over the years. A great way to learn about otherwise mundane things using catchy music/lyrics and cartoons.

I still remember the words to some of those songs 30+ years later (yes, I am older than most of you whippersnappers here).
  8. gottawalk

gottawalk

You're the man, Josh! It's fun stuff, isn't it? Gotta love it! :D
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Exactly why I came in here. Don't like all the bands, but it's cool to hear Alt Rock versions of the songs.
  10. Pruitt

Pruitt

My all time favorite! When I was a kid, I used to sing that song all the time. lol... :)
  11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser Supporting Member

Along with Conjuntion Junction, Interjection (starts a sentence with emotion, generally set apart from the sentence by an exclamation point or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong) was my favorite of the Grammer ones - I only remember what conjuntions and interjections are because of those songs.

I also like We, the People. Pure genius to put music to the Preamble to the Constitution. I'm Just a Bill also helped me through high school civics. Not if they just could have done a 90 second song on Calculus, I might have avoided that C- in college.
  12. The Owl

The Owl

I would LOVE to know who the musicians were that played on the original Schoolhouse Rock songs, that stuff SMOKED!! I do know that jazz trumpeter Jack Sheldon was the voice of The Multiplication Bunny.
  13. The Owl

The Owl

ROTFLMAO!!! A 90-second song about Calculus? That would've been more like a 20-minute Prog Rock epic. :D
  14. bassteban

bassteban

Bob Dorough did a few of them- '3 is a magic number' & 'Little 12 toes', among others- the one that sounds like a 6-yr-old girl(on 'Figure 8' & 'Unpack your adjectives')is Blossom Dearie. A google search should give you some more info.
  15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+ 1

But don't forget about ...

"Verb, verb, that's what's hap-pen-ing!!! :D
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Pretty much every 20 minute prog rock epic is about Calculus...
  17. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Did anyone ever find out who all those great musicians are?
  18. bassteban

bassteban

I know of Bob Dorough(3 is a Magic #)& Blossom Dearie(Figure 8). Worthwhile zombie thread!
  19. bassteban

bassteban

20. Saxn

Saxn

Man I am sorry to (re)resurrect a dead thread, but my kids were just checking out "math rock" - I had never heard this stuff before, and I had to STOP WORK, back it up and listen to that bassline :eek: At this writing, five and six are highly recommended listening :D