Schroeder 1210L questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Hi all:

I just acquired a used 1210L, in large part because of it's light weight, and the reviews I read are very positive. I've been playing a Low Down Sound 4x10 which is the best soiunding cab I've ever used, and my main amp is a 700RBII.

When testing the Schroeder in my practice room, my first impression was that it sounds "boxey." Of course it's not as warm and low as the LDS but I expected that, and understand that the Schroeder produces a more focused sound, but I think I'd benefit with input from other experienced owners/users.

Should I position the cab horizontally (on the floor), or elevate it, or stand it on end, or what else do you recommend to get the best sound? Is this cab a lot different in the mix than when standing alone?

I'm tempted to gig the Schroeder tomorrow night to give it a real world evaluation, but may have to lug the 4x10 along just as insurance.

Thanks in advance for your advice~

Tony
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The design of the baffle loaded Schroeder's, which crams two powerful drivers into a very small box results in a voicing that is very efficient and loud, and very low mid focused, without much deep low end extension.

Loading one driver in a slanted baffle further accents the lower midrange (band passing), making these cabs punchy, loud little beasts, but making them sound, as you mention, boxy with most amps set reasonably flat/neutral.

The good news is that these cabs can handle EQ pretty well, and are the rare cabs that actually benefit from a control like the contour control (I think that is what GK calls it), and also the presence control (since there is a bit of dip in the upper midrange due to this particular design (I gigged a 1212L for a while).

So, I would start by engaging the contour quite a bit to soften the low/mid mids and expand the low end. That might add a bit too much upper treble, so you might have to adjust the tweeter or dial down the treble control. Now, dial up the presence (I believe on the GK heads that boosts around 1K) to fill in that upper mid dip.

That should get the box to open up and even out a bit. Adjust further bass boost and mid cut with the other EQ bands to taste. Of course, remember that you can't open up the low end of that little 12/10 to sound like your 410, but you can get it to sound pretty even, with decent low end, and it will perform well at surprisingly high volumes. If you really crank the bass and crank the volume, you could damage a driver at high volumes, but just use your ears.

Good luck... nice cab for what it is... small, loud, punchy, tight. And yes, in a mix, that bit of boxiness can actually automatically slot your bass tone nicely right in the middle of the mix (i.e., the classic 'punch through the mix'). If you want to put a deep pillow of low end under your band, this cab won't do it.

Quite frankly, there are better small cab solutions today that don't have the extreme baked in tone of the baffle Schro's, but at the time they were introduced (maybe 7 years ago), they really were kind of amazing for the size of gig you could do with that small and light of a box, even if they didn't shake the rafters.
  3. watspan

watspan

1212L here. sound poor standalone, but cut like a hot knife through butter in a live band mix. rest assured you will be heard out in the room like never before. set up a digital recorder out in the room and hear it for yourself. I run mine on it's rubber feet and don't eq much, preferring to let the cab sound as it's designed. enjoy!
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 that the inherent low mid voicing of that cab is not, in and of itself, a bad thing for many tone goals and contexts. Round, punchy, articulate bass tone in a mix.

My post was mainly aimed at helping the OP spreading and 'evening' the tone of that cab, per his request. Doesn't mean that everyone would need to do that!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. watspan

watspan

you gave great advice--just reporting how I use mine. Plus I use a Thunderfunk head, which seems to sound great no matter what cab you put it on top of!
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Standing right in front of the typical 4x10 gives you that "polished/deep/sparkly" bass tone, almost like what you would want your bass to sound like on a finished recording. My 1212L is less musical sounding at close range, especially at lower volumes.

Out in the room is the great equalizer. The Schroeder has the mid frequencies to really carry the bass through the band and out off the stage. Much of the "polish" of a 4x10 becomes less audible thhe further away from the stage you get. This is a bit of a generalization of course, but it's probably what you're hearing.

Having a "less full" bass tone on stage takes some getting use to. There are certainly options out there that provide both(mammoth 8x10 cabs/fEarful/etc)if you're willing to make the sacrafice $$ and/or weight/size wise. All I can tell you is when I go and see bands and the bassist is using a 4x10 there's usually not enough mid/low-mid content in their tone. I can feel the bass and tell it's there, but I often have to struggle to actually hear what the bassist is doing when I'm not watching him/her.
  8. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Kjung and Watspan - thanks so much for your insight. With your suggestions I now have a taking off point and will start tweaking the amp perameters per your advice.

If it turns out that I'm satisfied with what I'm hearing I'll take the risk and use the Schroeder at tomorrow night's gig.

Once again, thanks!

Tony
  9. watspan

watspan

the Schro can only truly be judged within the context of a gig. IMO.
  10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    KJung made many great points, all of which I agree with. I found that my Schro's (1210 + 1010) required a sort of "EQ reversal" at home vs. being out on a gig.

That aggressive lower mid bump makes for a great portable standalone cab with plenty of volume to spare...but can just be too much in the den practicing along to an Ipod. Fortunately, if you have the EQ flexibility it can be readily adjusted.

Lonnybass
  11. chuck3

chuck3

I have the Schro 1212 with the one 12 diagonal or however it works with the baffle. All the points made above are good ones. Playing alone or at low volume practices with a Streamliner 900, I don't like how it sounds. For those situations, I use a LM II including some of the VPF/VPE or whatever it is. That sounds very good. But I'll gig this cab with the STM 900 and really cut through as mentioned.
  12. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

I have a 1212L and agree with what's been said. I was on the fence for a long time on whether or not I was going to keep it.

This cab does not sound very good by itself but it sounds great in a band context. It just sits perfectly on top of the kick drum.

FWIW I play funk, soul, and jazz through a Markbass LMII.