1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Schroeder 1210L speaker rattle

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by arginator, Feb 4, 2013.

1. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Hi everyone-

I searched and can't find what I'm looking for, so I hope someone can help. I have a Schroeder 1210L which has a nasty rattle when I play at louder volumes. I tightened all screws, still there. I removed the grill and gently touched the edge of the 10" driver. The rattle goes away, then comes back when I let go. Is my speaker blown? Does it need to be reconed?

2. Hey arginator,
    This issue was covered a few years ago and, if memory serves, the issue is with the joint where the angled baffle meets the back of the cab. I believe that the problem can be solved by putting a generous layer of Gorilla Snot type adhesive along the seam and letting the cab sit on it's back for a few days while the glue sets up.
    Do a little research and call Jorg for the final and correct answer.
    Hope this helps.

3. Sponsored by:

4. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I've read in other threads of the dust cap needing to be reglued. Anyone have any experience with this?

5. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Bump. Any other ideas?

6. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Contact Jorg Schroeder,
    he's very helpful and supportive.

7. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks. I tried that a year and a half ago when I had a problem with the crossover, but I never heard back from him. I ended up fixing it myself. Besides, I bought the cab used.

So today I tested the speaker by gently pushing down on the cone, and I heard a crunching sound. So I thought it was blown. I took it out, tested it again, and heard much less noise. Put it back in, and it seems to work better now. However, the original buzzing/rattling sound is not totally gone. Its much quieter and higher pitched. It only makes the sound when I crank it and play hard. It's not a normal speaker break up sound. Does this sound like a blown speaker? Or is it something else? I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the baffle or bracing.

8. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Bringing back my own thread from the dead! After tinkering with my 1210L on and off for almost a year, I finally find the source of the buzz. It's the horn. When I play a low E loudly, it buzzes, but with the grill off when I place my hand over the back of the horn magnet and play same note, buzz goes away. There is a thin plastic label on the back and I'm wondering if that's making the noise.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1419276584.766032.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1419276595.648146.jpg

I'm thinking I can try fixing this simply by ripping the sticker off, or taping it down with duct tape. Before I do, is there any harm in this?

The horn was screwed in tight already, so I don't think that was the problem.

9. Try taking the sticker off and see if it's assembled with screws. If so your laughing. Simply tighten it.

If not, the adhesive used to hold the magnet on has given away and you'll have to repair it. I've fixed a couple of drivers that had their magnet assembly shaken loose from an abrupt fall.

I just broke the rest of the adhesive to remove the magnet and cleaned off what glue I could. Mixed up some 5 min epoxy as per the manufacturers instructions and made sure I kept the alignment true when re-assembling.

I really only did this when a replacement driver wasn't available or too costly to make sense replacing.

The tape thing is really only a temporary repair that will only end up wasting your time and effort IMHO.

10. Oh. You can get a new tweeter at parts express for $20. Just replace it.