1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Schroeder 1210L speaker rattle

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by arginator, Feb 4, 2013.

1. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

Hi everyone-

I searched and can't find what I'm looking for, so I hope someone can help. I have a Schroeder 1210L which has a nasty rattle when I play at louder volumes. I tightened all screws, still there. I removed the grill and gently touched the edge of the 10" driver. The rattle goes away, then comes back when I let go. Is my speaker blown? Does it need to be reconed?

2. Kirk P Brosius

Kirk P Brosius

Hey arginator,
    This issue was covered a few years ago and, if memory serves, the issue is with the joint where the angled baffle meets the back of the cab. I believe that the problem can be solved by putting a generous layer of Gorilla Snot type adhesive along the seam and letting the cab sit on it's back for a few days while the glue sets up.
    Do a little research and call Jorg for the final and correct answer.
    Hope this helps.

3. arginator

Thanks, I'll look into that. I've read in other threads of the dust cap needing to be reglued. Anyone have any experience with this?

4. arginator

Bump. Any other ideas?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Contact Jorg Schroeder,
    he's very helpful and supportive.

7. arginator

Thanks. I tried that a year and a half ago when I had a problem with the crossover, but I never heard back from him. I ended up fixing it myself. Besides, I bought the cab used.

So today I tested the speaker by gently pushing down on the cone, and I heard a crunching sound. So I thought it was blown. I took it out, tested it again, and heard much less noise. Put it back in, and it seems to work better now. However, the original buzzing/rattling sound is not totally gone. Its much quieter and higher pitched. It only makes the sound when I crank it and play hard. It's not a normal speaker break up sound. Does this sound like a blown speaker? Or is it something else? I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the baffle or bracing.