Schroeder Cabinets/ Tecamp Puma 1000 combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sacha Lévesque, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Sacha Lévesque

Sacha Lévesque

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, EMG Pickups and Schroeder Cabinets
    I have a Schroeder 15PL 8ohms and a 210PL 4 ohms that I would like to run with a Tecamp Puma 1000. Does anyone have experience with this combo? I am looking for a combination to cover as many musical styles (from modern to classic tones). Will the Tecamp open up the Schroeders low end a bit?

I currenly own a TC RH750 and while I love all the features, I cant run both cabs at once and find the low end a bit restricted. Whats tue voicing like on the Puma 1000?

Thanks

2. KJung

KJung

There are two versions of the Puma1000. Assuming your 210 is also 8ohms, the Puma900 would be the way to go in the TecAmp line-up. The original Puma1000 could not be bridged into 4ohms. The current model allows for that, but you are paying more money for the unique capabilities of that amp (second channel voiced for driving a Pleasure Pad, etc.).

The Puma900 pumps at 4ohms (two 8ohm cabs), and should sound quite nice with that set-up. I would actually consider the GK MB800. Much less money, and the variable contour control is a wonderful way to soften the mid mids of those cabs, and extend the low end a bit.

3. Sacha Lévesque

Sacha Lévesque

Disclosures:
    Thanks Kjung
    Ive just reedited my post with more info if youd like to chime in again.

4. Sacha Lévesque

Sacha Lévesque

Disclosures:
    I also love the idea that I could run the 15PL as a "sub". I guess im just really wondering what sound id be able to dial in with the Puma 1000 (the newer version that goes down to 2ohms).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

Ah, 4ohm 210. OK, that limits your options. Running the Puma1000 in dual mono mode is not that impressive (I believe the current Puma1000 doesn't put out a lot of wattage at 8ohms per side. It is listed as 500 watts per side at 2ohms, and 1000 watts bridged at 4ohms (which is basically 2ohms per side). So, pretty limited at 8ohms and even 4ohms per side.

It would surely work, but that is a lot of money for what is most likely a 400 watt amp given your 'one side at 8ohms and one side at 4ohms).

You might try one of the larger Carvin heads. They are 2ohm safe (you'd be running ay 2.67 ohms), and have massive EQ power to smooth and widen those cabs. Probabaly less than half the price of the Puma1000 and more wump IMO and IME.

7. KJung

KJung

There would be no advantage to running that full range, mid present 15 as a sub. Not a good idea there.... waste of watts and circuitry.

The tonality would be fine though (running the Puma1000 in 'full range' dual mono mode). GREAT EQ on the new Puma heads, and plenty of deep bass EQ power. Lots of money though for relatively low power in your situation (i.e., you could not bridge, and the separate power amp outputs at 8ohms and 4ohms are not particularely impressive, at least as they have the specs reported).

You would be putting almost double the power into the 210 versus the 115 with the Carvin option (i.e., monoblock at 2ohms), but that should most likely be OK (i.e., the 210 should handle and use more power than the single 15).

IMO... difficult situation. The other path you might take is a PA power amp and preamp. Then, you would have volume controls for each cab, and plenty of power to run both.

8. Sacha Lévesque

Sacha Lévesque

Disclosures:
    Again, thanks for your input! Ill most likely go the preamp/amp way

9. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Carvin BX1500 could run dual mono with balance control for under $500.

just adding to Kjung's comments.

10. KJung

KJung

If you can find a preamp you like, when you have kind of mismatched cabs like that, it is usually the best solution. PA power amps are now light and cheap, and the individual volume controls allow you to balance out the volume of each of those cabs.

The only thing to be very careful of is matching the preamp signal level output with the input sensitivity of a particular PA type amp. Some pairings just won't work. Lots of guys on TB who know about that stuff. If you go this route, and find a pre you like, start a thread asking for optimal power amp brands/models and you are good to go.

That being said, don't totally dismiss that Carvin BSX1500 or whatever it is called.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Own one. Very versatile amp, imho.