Schroeder PL210 with Markbass LMII?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by deadblues, Feb 14, 2014.

1. deadblues

deadblues Supporting Member

I have been using a Markbass Little Mark II in my primary rig for a few years, and I'm looking for advice for a cab to pair with it. My main gig is with a 6-piece rock/blues band (two guitars, bass, drums, vocalist, keys). We mainly play in small to medium sized bars and clubs, with the occasional outdoor gig. My main rig for the last few years has been the LMII with two Aguilar GS112 cabs (one with horn; one without). In smaller places, I'll just use one of the Aggies. This rig has been totally satisfactory, although I suspect I'm not getting all that I could out of this amp. Despite the size of my band, no one is particularly loud, and the keyboard player stays out of the lower register so I never have that to contend with. I never have any problems cutting through the mix. For larger venues, I run a line out of the LMII to the PA, but in smaller clubs we don't mic any of the amps, and I don't have any problem being heard. I do have a David Eden rig with a 4x10 that I could always use for a big venue or on an outdoor stage, but I haven't bothered with it in a long time; it's a beast to haul around.
    So- no issues with my current rig. But as I get older and my back is not what it used to me, I'm looking to lighten my load wherever I can (just bought a 6-lb Birdsong bass). So, I am thinking that I'd like to replace the Aggies with one lightweight, high-performance 4 ohm cab; probably a 2x12, maybe a 2x10 (the LMII puts out 500W RMS at 4 ohms.) I've been doing a bit of research on cabs in this category, and one that draws my attention is the Schroeder PL210. I have never heard this particular cab, although every Schroeder that I have heard seemed to be pretty awesome. The PL210 is 700W; supposed it's pretty loud (Schroeder claims that it "can keep up volume wise with most common 4x10 cabinets"), and it's only 36 lbs. with the Neo speakers (that's about 6 lbs. less than one of my Aggies). Sounds too good to be true. Used/display models seem to be going for around $500-600, which is about the max of my price range (I've heard a lot of raves about the Bergantino CN212 which would seem to meet my needs, but it's a bit out of my price range.)
    I'm hoping that someone on TalkBass might have or has tried this rig. I know there are a few threads here suggesting various cabs to pair with the LMII, but I have yet to come across anyone who has plugged a PL210 into one. So if anyone has any insight on this, please let me know- and if anyone has any better suggestions for a cab to go with the LMII, I'm all ears. Thanks!

2. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I'm afraid I haven't heard the Shroeder either, but I too find it hard to believe a 36 lb 2x10 can keep up with a 4x10. But if the sound is right, then two of 'em could do the trick - but then you might as well stick with the pair of Aguilars you already have and like.

3. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I have a PL212. 38lbs and it really doesn't even feel like that.

I was looking around to see what Schroeder owners were digging, and saw there's a bit of Markbass LM love on the Schroeder club thread.

I have to agree with swamp bass there...I'd take claims of a 210 keeping up with most 410s with a grain of salt. I let go of my Uber 410 for the PL212, and while they're both 4 ohm "1,000 watt" handling cabinets, I don't believe the PL212 can put down everything that the Uber could.

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Regarding "a 210 as loud as a 410":

I have two identical EBS ProLine 210s; one 100% stock, the other one modified and loaded with Deltalite II 2510s (instead of Gamma 10s).
    The modded box has virtually identical sensitivity, goes deeper, has cleaner mids and will get MUCH louder without compression.
    WinISD simulation confirms what my ears and bandmates hear, too.

In fact, I'd say my 210 will keep up with a stock EBS 410. It will need a bit more power to get there but power is cheap (and light) nowadays.

Edit: oh yeah, since the 2510s are neos, I also reduced the weight quite a bit!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

I giged a Schroeder 2x12L and a mark bass F1 for about a year...

Sound nice & full cut through a five piece band.

So if you like the sound of 12's I would stay there.
    10's sound very different then 12's...

Any way I would still have that Schroeder if I didn't lend it to a friend who mess up his arm and gave me back the money I had into it..,

I hope that helps.

Barry.

7. deadblues

deadblues Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with the 1210PL (one 10" and one 12")?