Scored An Ibby CT 5-String!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VanillaThundah, Mar 24, 2014.

1. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    Just snagged this from Guitar Center's online Used Dept. and I am pretty stoked!

Next to nothing on these things, other than they were late 80's-early 90's models and had EMG Selects in the higher end ones. I love the natural finish on it and hope it's not an uber thick glossy coat over the wood, that would suck. A 5'er with J's in it looks nice and I love Ibanez necks, so I have decently high hopes for this one.

The selects are supposed to be the predecessor to the HZ line of passive EMGs, so I'm not expecting much in the tone department. If I do a swap on them, I'm up in the air between Bartolini J's or Seymour Duncan Jazz 5 stacks with an Audere 4-band preamp in it. If the tone is decent as-is, I may leave it for a while or just upgrade the preamp when I find the time to. Believe it or not, I actually plan on stringing this up with D'Addario chromes, as I'd love a more shape-able jazz 5er with some of the pristine active bass clarity. It maybe be sacrilege, but I have a pair of DR Hi-Beams in case it goes bad with the Chromes ;)

Anyone own one of these before? Good or bad experiences? Tone out of the box? Anything to keep in mind or look out for with them? :help:

Attached Files:

2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    Not a lot of owners on these eh? Can't wait to get mine in, I'll try and spread some info on it to the community ;)
  3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I haven't seen many of them.. How is the sound and playability?
  4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Body kind of has a Yamaha shape to it, the horns in particular.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport