Scott Devine's Play Along Series

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chief2112, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Chief2112

Chief2112

I'm still a beginner and have just been playing a little over a year now. All self taught.

One of the great resources are continually thrown around on these forums is Scott Devine and his scottsbasslessons.com stuff. I've been a fan for awhile.

Anyways, I just threw down some cash for the first play along series (II V I).

I just started it today and I looked up and it had been 3 hours of some really great strides in my playing and understanding. It's a damn well put together resource and I highly recommend it.

It was perfect for me since I just started playing with some other musicians for the first time and learning to play and improvise some bass lines over some simple chord progressions is really going to help me. And I already feel like I know the fretboard better after that one session. Lightbulbs are going on everywhere!

Big thumbs up!! And thanks Scott if you see this!

2. Raw Amateur

Raw Amateur

I bought the II V I chord progression series as well. I have to say it's a bargain basement deal. Essentially a 45 minute plus lesson that is well thought out and gradually builds in difficulty that comes with backing tracks in all keys for you to practice as well as notation and tab documents that come along with it. For $17. I have been using the backing tracks for fretboard excercises as well.

I have been playing for 2 years. While the concepts weren't new to me, the teaching method was, and I have really enjoyed it.

3. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

Any competent musician who plays bass can explain the theory and show you where to put your fingers. Where Me. Devine excels is that in addition to the information, he imparts an attitude that this we can all play and play well and have fun doing it. I'm not sure how he does it. Maybe he doesn't, either, but there it is. That is what seperates the great teachers from the rest.

4. cloverkeys

cloverkeys

I bought the whole play-along series, I cannot possibly imagine replacing it with another teaching material.

Like someone said, its not scary complicated stuff, but Scott is a great teacher and presents it in a way that is unique.

I can't recommend it enough, has helped me lots!

Big thanks to Scott for this!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Already In Use

Already In Use

Another vote for Scott D! He is good at teaching in a way that is not intimidating while making it fun..plus he's a cool cat! Peace!

7. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

What is included in these series? Is there a video presentation, some sort of mp3s, and .pdfs? Any advice is appreciated.

8. Chief2112

Chief2112

There is a video presentation for each one. They vary in length but are generally about 35-50 minutes long. It also comes with 70+ mp3s. There are six different tempos for 12 keys. Swing (slow), Swing (medium), Swing (medium-up), Swing (fast), Bossa and Samba. There is also a .pdf worksheet that correlates to the video lesson.

9. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Scott is a really good teacher.
    He knows how to present the info.
    I'm having fun with the free stuff he offer's.
    Enjoy!

11. devine

devine Supporting Member

Ahhh... cheers for all the kind words guys!

BrianMarc...

Yeah there's a presentation video with each package plus a huge amount of mp3's and pdf worksheets etc.

In the video tutorials I break things down to make it super easy to understand how to go about playing over these progressions - and how to actually get it into your playing which is obviously the most important thing.

Again... thanks so much guys to all of you that chipped in with the cool compliments! Your continued support is invaluable!

Have a wicked day... in the shed! ;)))

Scott.

12. Swipter

Swipter

Any series on playing using a pick?

13. devine

devine Supporting Member

Not yet man... maybe next year! ;)

Ez,

Scott ;)

14. Kuroth

Kuroth

Agree 1000%.. From the start when I first watched one of his videos, he is just so damn easy to watch and listen to.. Very good charisma... And to me that does matter.. I wish I lived in his area as I would love to take in person lessons from him..

I bought all 5 of his Play along Series even though I am not yet at the level where I will start using them.. But I will be there soon... :bassist: