Scott NB6 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alsmith2000, Feb 19, 2014.

1. alsmith2000

alsmith2000

Hi all,

I've been playing bass for some 14 years but I'm a technophobe. I plug it in, it works, I play.

I bought a Scott NB6 bass guitar off E-bay (cheapest 6-string I could find, £150) which arrived today and after plugging it in I had to jack the gain and the volume up on my Peavey TKO 115 amp to get any kind of volume out of the thing (I own an Ibanez (EDA-900) and a Soundgear (SR305) and I don't have the same issue with those).

Could the volume issue be because there are some really cheap pickups in the bass? Or could it be something else?

I've tried using multiple leads, bypassing my pedals going straight into the amp and I've tried almost every possible setting on the amp.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Al
  2. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

You could try raising the pickups so they are closer to the strings.
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

This is about the best you can do. Note that Ibanez are generally petty hot basses (my SR206 and SR506 are) so a comparison to them isn't quite fair. And if the new bass is a low output (like say some Barts are) it will seem to be dramatically quiet. But output level isn't the issue (unless you are trying to match basses), the key is if you crank the gain to get decent levels with the bass how much hum and noise are there? If it's still quiet then low output really doesn't matter. But if hum and noise rise to unacceptable levels then you need to to start thinking of other pickups.

Also you may want to try new quality strings. Cheap factory strings often have very low output.