1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

SCPB 1/4 lb for Sting bass question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Port Charlotte, FL
    Some years ago I replaced the stock single-coil pickup on my Sting Precision with a Basslines "vintage" pickup. I am still not entirely satisfied with the sound or output and was wondering if the "hotter" Basslines SCPB-3 Quarter-Pound Single-Coil P-Bass Pickup might be a better choice. I love the vintage look of the Sting, but could use a little more punch. Anyone out there tried this?

2. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

Feb 12, 2008
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Port Charlotte, FL
    Thanks, Mike. I read your post with great interest when it came out--and posted within it myself. Indeed, I considered the stacked pickup but believe the Duncan quarter pounder will be similar in size to my older bassline replacement (which went in without a hitch). Many thanks, and I will keep all this in mid as I go forward; I never had a shielding problem, though I did place copper tape along the underside of the pickguard. The bridge was never a problem either, but then I play lower on the neck. Thanks again!

5. When I decided to make my 70 Tele neck live on a Tele body again I bought a fully loaded Warmoth body off ebay. It had the SCPB-2 "hot" version, and I immediately knew it wasn't for me. Too gritty and heavy in the mids.

So I picked up a used SCPB 1/4 lb'er and I'll never go back to a vintage one, including the original 70 pickup which I still have!

Huge tone across the sweep, and punch a'plenty. The only blip I found was having to keep the pickup a little further from the strings than usual because the field is very strong and the output is so hot. Once I set the correct distance it worked out quite nicely indeed. I like it a lot.