SCPB 1/4 lb for Sting bass question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Some years ago I replaced the stock single-coil pickup on my Sting Precision with a Basslines "vintage" pickup. I am still not entirely satisfied with the sound or output and was wondering if the "hotter" Basslines SCPB-3 Quarter-Pound Single-Coil P-Bass Pickup might be a better choice. I love the vintage look of the Sting, but could use a little more punch. Anyone out there tried this?
  2. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

3. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Thanks, Mike. I read your post with great interest when it came out--and posted within it myself. Indeed, I considered the stacked pickup but believe the Duncan quarter pounder will be similar in size to my older bassline replacement (which went in without a hitch). Many thanks, and I will keep all this in mid as I go forward; I never had a shielding problem, though I did place copper tape along the underside of the pickguard. The bridge was never a problem either, but then I play lower on the neck. Thanks again!
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

When I decided to make my 70 Tele neck live on a Tele body again I bought a fully loaded Warmoth body off ebay. It had the SCPB-2 "hot" version, and I immediately knew it wasn't for me. Too gritty and heavy in the mids.

So I picked up a used SCPB 1/4 lb'er and I'll never go back to a vintage one, including the original 70 pickup which I still have!

Huge tone across the sweep, and punch a'plenty. The only blip I found was having to keep the pickup a little further from the strings than usual because the field is very strong and the output is so hot. Once I set the correct distance it worked out quite nicely indeed. I like it a lot.
  5. Register to disable this ad