1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SCPB pickup cover/shield, worth it ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I love my squier CV 50's p a lot, in fact I popped a Lollar SCPB pup in it and in one band I've pretty much settled on it in favour of my 64' jazz (main player) and other basses because of it's crazy thump and the flats I have on it really suits the band perfectly. Only thing that bugs me is the SCPB pup being so susceptible to RF noise etc...
    I have lovingly re-shielded all cavities and 'twisted pair' the pup wires and all I have left in my power to reduce the noise is add a pup shield ashtray cover (with ground wire). I'm not into the dual coil/humbucker SCPB option, I really, really like that Lollar.

My question to those with a non humbucking SCPB pup bass... Have you used a grounded pup shield cover ? And did it reduce RF noise noticeably ?
    Is the noise reduction enough to warrant taking up valuable playing real estate ?

Thank you

2. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

So not worth it then ? :(

3. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

4. RobbieK

RobbieK

I'd try proper braided shield audio wiring and also try earthing the magnets first. I'll be honest, I've never wired a SCPB pickup, but these extras may help.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch

That was what Fender did with the '51 P-bass initially, but it became obvious that it didn't really work that well, so they eventually stopped attaching a ground wire to the cover. If reducing noise is the only reason you are considering a pickup cover, then no, I'd say it's not worth it.

7. line6man

line6man

Firstly, RF noise is out of the human hearing range.

Ground plates and chrome covers don't do much of anything. They are not close enough to the coils to influence the magnetic field, and they are basically useless as Faraday Cages.

8. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Thanks guys, I suspected as much. I forgot they stopped wiring those to ground, cheers.

9. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Whoops, I meant EMI, quite correct, cheers.

10. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

Single coil hum is the price you pay for thump. Well worth it IMO.

11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

It's pretty righteous ! :)