Scrap Wood 6 String

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Blue Blood, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    This is a bass I built out of left over wood I used to make some furniture. The top is yellowheart with a center block of figured walnut with a couple of mahogany pin stripes. The body is walnut, fingerboard is morado, and the neck is a single piece of maple I had lying around. The pickups are single coils that I wound. I didn't take a pic of the back but the control cavity cover is tort pickguard material that I had left over from a previous build. The hardware and knobs were found in a junk drawer. I'd prefer black hardware but I wanted to build this as inexpensively as possible. I may add a preamp in the future so I made the control cavity plenty big enough.The bass plays and sounds great and balances very well.
  2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I LOVE that body shape. Looks awesome!
  3. jsh008

jsh008

Very nice! Have any sound clips? Would love to hear it
  4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

Looks great! That lower horn looks like it would be very comfortable for seated playing and looks like it should get the strings up into a great spot for seated playing as well. Great use of scrap wood!
  5. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I dig it, more pics!
  6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Tease! Just one pic?
  7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    Thanks guys. I took a couple more pics but they didn't come out right. I'll take a couple more tomorrow and post them. I'll try to make some sound clips in the next day or so, as well.