Scratches in body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rusty2867, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Rusty2867

Rusty2867 Supporting Member

I recently picked up a black Fender Jazz and it had a few lg scuff marks so I wet sanded it and tried to buff.It took care of the scuff marks but now it has a lot of fine scratches so I took it to a friend of mine who does body work,we hit it with 2000 grit and polished it with auto compound.Got most of the scratches but not all.The Fender website shows polyester as the body finish on new basses this one is a 99,is there something better for what I am trying to do? What do you guys use? Thanks in advance,Todd
  2. Andy D

Andy D

Maybe a second dose is in order? If that got most of the scratches initially, I'd try it again.
  3. Rusty2867

I wasn't sure how far I could go,is there a clear on this or is it just black?
  4. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Drop fill them with CA.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

7. edpal

edpal Fighting the LIKES, +1 @ a time Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll second the Novus for plastic - I do watch repair and polish a LOT of plastic. And don't finish with a cotton rag as cotton fibers are hard enough to scratch plastic, as are random fibers in kleenex or paper towel. Fine polyester is the ticket. Those Handi-wipes clothes are pretty good. Finish with a product that contains some carnuba or Montana wax for a really lasting shine.
  8. Rusty2867

Handi wipe cloths? Not sure what you're talking about can you elaborate? What about microfiber cloths?
  9. edpal

edpal Fighting the LIKES, +1 @ a time Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    HAndi-Wipes is a brand of clothes, sold in many grocery stores in the cleaning supplies. Thin and cheap as heck, sort of a honeycomb pattern. But yeah, microfiber is fine too. Think of it as using a plastic cloth on a plastic finish. Cotton fiber is harder than many plastics.
  10. Rusty2867

Thanks for the replies,I will be trying the Novus I actually think they carry that at the mc shop for plastic windshields