1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Scratchy pot go bye bye?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pharmakon, Jan 11, 2014.

1. pharmakon

pharmakon

So awhile ago I bought an original cry baby wah just to have around the house and play with. The pot was making a scratchy noise about mid way through the range. From what I saw online, it's common and an easy fix. I haven't messed with it for awhile, having not purchased a replacement pot yet.

I just got a Bass Big Muff and thought it would fun to try them together. ran the signal from the muff to the wah to the amp. With the muff on, the scratching sound is gone!

Is this still indicative of a pot that need replacing or is there another issue with my wah? I'm a real noob when it comes to effects and such, so I have NO idea. Thanks!
  2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Go to your local electronics supply house. And ask for Deoixt. Or whatever they recommend.

5 or 10 bucks. Learn how to use it.
  3. pharmakon

pharmakon

I thought I read the crybaby pot was encased and using conduit cleaner wouldn't work?
  4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The new ones are. I seem to rcall the older ones being open.

If it's sealed run the pot through it's travel ten twenty times fast and it should clean up. If not get a hotpot.