1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SD Antiquity II vs SPB-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KyleSerlington, Dec 6, 2013.

1. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i have a used MIM P-bass coming in next week and i know i'm eventually going to change the pickup and it's between these 2. i have an SPB-1 in a warmoth that i put together and i love it, but seeing as how this is going to be my 5th p-bass i'm thinkin i should change it up a little, so what can the antiquity offer me that the SPB-1 can't soundwise? i know the output will be a little lower but what about tone? i know when Mike Dirnt started using p-basses in the late 90's he used antiquities in them and i liked his sounds from back then, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too many demos on youtube of people playing them, and it seems like a lot of places don't even stock them. anyone have any firsthand experience with both of these?
  2. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Antiquities are made to replicate 50-60 yr old pups, I know duh right. So no two sets will be exactly alike. The winds are different from set to set as is the magnet strength. So you never know exactly what your getting, except knowing its a well made high quality product. I'd try them in your situation, just know what to, well, expect.
  3. Reaper Man

Reaper Man Supporting Member

I have antiquity II's in a jazz. I wouldn't hesitate to put a P set in if needed. I'd say all things being equal- try them. As you said, it's your 5th pbass
  4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I have both. The AntII is substantially brighter and more transparent, the SPB-1 more round.

Having both is a good idea.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I threw a set of Antiquity 2's in my P a couple months ago, they were very nice to my ears. Very warm and defined. I ultimately took them out and installed EMG-PAX's in my P, I love the sound and punch of active pups. The SD's were really nice though. If I liked passive pups I probably wouldve kept them in my P. I dug them more the 60's Fender reissues.