1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SD APB-1 EMG-HB, out of phase?!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dimeified, Nov 22, 2013.

1. dimeified

dimeified

Hey guys,
    I'm working on a project bass at the moment. It has an EMG-HB bridge P pickup, and Seymour Duncan APB-1 neck P pickup, both actives, with an EMG 3 band Active EQ.

The problem is, if I am full neck or full bridge on the balance control, the pickups are loud. Once i back off either extreme, the volume sort of drops noticeably, especially the bassier frequencies.

The only thing I can think is the pickups may be out of phase? I'm sure I've wired everything correctly. I've double, tripped checked. The pickups both go to the balance control. Both pickups have a power, ground, and hot leads, I'm sure I did it right.

Now, the EMG-HB set is mounted in an EMG guitar sized humbucker from the factory, so I know that is oriented correctly in the bass. However, I am wondering if the Seymour Duncan APB-1 set, specifically the one close to the neck, is incorrect? Could that screw this up?

Something else to mention, the Ducan set did come with 100k pots, the EMG's usually come with 25k pots. Could this make a difference?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yes sounds like they are out of phase. Reverse one of them.

3. dimeified

dimeified

4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The ground connection on the SD is also the ground connection of the internal preamplifier. Swapping those two invites a whole bunch of issues. Just have someone make you a simple, unity-gain inverting buffer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Why not just get an EMG pickup?

7. dimeified

dimeified

Because I already bought the SD set for the neck, not wanting the same pickups in both positions.