SD SPB-3 and STK-J2b for Yamaha RBX-270

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass_Xtremist89, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Bass_Xtremist89

Bass_Xtremist89

So I've decided to upgrade the pickups on my beloved Yamaha RBX-270.

Anyone will agree with me that for the price, these basses are fantastic in both feel and sound. The stock pickups are great, however they buzz like hell and lack solidarity in the low mids.

Ive looked around for suitable PJ replacements. Initially I was gonna go for the EMG active PJ set. After finding out they'd set me back about 3 times what I payed for the bass itself, I was quickly put off, even more so after hearing that they can sound quite sterile and thin compared to most other PJ pickups. I'm now set on Seymour Duncan pickups, paticularly the SPB-3 for the neck and an STK-J2B for the bridge, especially considering Duff McKagan uses it in his signature Fender P/J bass.

So does everybody think that this will be a pretty decent upgrade?

Cheers :bassist:

2. walruswaspaul

walruswaspaul

I think that will sound awesome ,Ive used the SPB-3 before and the SPB-3 has a killer punch to it and the Stk-2 will give you some nice midrange. Im thinking about doing something very similar with my jazz bass with a SJB-3 for the neck and SJB-2 or Stk-2 for the bridge

3. Prataz

Prataz

Had u tried Bartolinis?

I have the same bass as you and went thru several Pickup changes.

1) Dimarzio - Nice Aggressive souding (But I didn't know how to use it back then so I change it to....

2) EMG - The rumours about EMG sounding like a hospital room is not fake. It just sound so sterile, which is good as it was never muddy. Clean and Clear but I didn't like it as I missed the nice woody sound of a passive so I change it to...

3) Seymour Duncan SPB-3 and SJB-3 - Nice and woody sounding. But abit muddy. Lack the tightness in the lows so I changed it to

4) Bartolinis - Nice, Deep and Tight. However, there's a lack in the highs department but then this is what I would had prefered. Next, is putting in Bartolini's Active preamp to see how it goes.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    STKJ2B is a cool bridge pickup but I would go with an SPB-2 for the neck P pickup - I find the SPB-3 way too scooped sounding. The SPB-2 goes great with the STKJ2B bridge as well as the SJB-2. I have five or six basses with these combinations.

JR

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Banana_phone

Banana_phone

Sorry if this looks like a hijack (probabily it is) but would Dark Stars PU´s work with the rbx 270? I don´t have one, but maybe I will buy the fretless model.

7. 62bass

62bass

I like the SPB3 myself. I've been using it in my P for over 10 years. Contrary to what some say and even show me the SD response charts to prove it, in practice they do not sound scooped. I think they're a great upgrade. They seem to bring out the best in any strings I've used.

It's a good idea to go with a hum cancelling bridge pickup. That single coil hum will annoy you.

8. necrobot

necrobot

I'm actually looking to do the EXACT same thing, i think i prefer just the one solid pickup to do all the work so i'm thinking of just stripping out the stocks on the 270 and just installing a HUGE dimarzio. unless someone can tell me that's a bad idea? lol.

9. SLAM_Bass

SLAM_Bass

Was just passing through, checking out what TB'ers thought of these two pickups, and noticed that the last two posts were both made on January 15th of different years. I couldn't resist keeping the tradition alive. See you in a few years!

10. johnson79

johnson79

11. SLAM_Bass

SLAM_Bass