1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

sealed 3x12 idea

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kringle77, Sep 3, 2012.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Just another wondering out loud thread here. I was just playing through my buddies old ampeg v4 4x12 sealed guitar cab, most likely loaded with jensen mod12-70's and really loved the tone. That got me thinking that a 3x12 sealed cab using two eminence 2512II drivers in series for a 16ohm load and a 16ohm jensen mod12-70 might make a really good sounding 8ohm 3x12 cab. Maybe 36 liters per driver. A pair of those cabs should just sound like vintage god.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

So the two 2512's would be run in parallel with the Jensen? Full range?
  3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Which drivers are more sensitive (more output at a specified voltage WRT load)? It's likely that you'll hear one type of driver more than the other. Two drivers of one type/make/model in series is as loud as one of them.
  4. kringle77

Two 2512's in series, then paralleled with a 16 ohm mod12-70. That would put the sensativities pretty well matched to eachother. You could probably even low pass the 2512's at around 2khz or lower to let more of the character come from the jensen.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest that the Jensen be in its own separate enclosure within the cabinet. I feel that using a 12 for mids and highs would be questionable when a 6" mid would do the same job.
  6. kringle77

The jensen would be in it's own compartment and run fullrange. To me, there just isn't any life in the tone when you crossover to another driver. It's too clean and boring for my tastes. Thats why people tend to prefer imperfect designs. They sound good and they feel good. Thats more important to performing music than "correct". And I've said this so many times. If someone could build and 15/6 cab that sounded and felt like a vintage 8x10, I'd buy two of them right now. But, there never has been and probably never will be. And yes, I've tried using a ported 15" crossed over low to a pair of guitar drivers. It sounds really good but, the feel, grind and character are just not there.
  7. astack

astack Supporting Member

Kringle, thought you were gonna slow on the cab mad scientist front... :D

I was actually thinking a lot about a 3x12 with the DL II's today during a long travel day. The idea's just been simmering all day, so I do a search and there's your thread. :cool:

As with the 15PR400, 3015 and some of those 10's you're eyeing, the DL's have sweet enough upper range (or so they tell me here) to be ran plain for simplicity. Plus dual suitably for sealed or ported. Really versatile. Yeah some flavor in the top slot would be nice, but many could get by without.

A 3xDL would have similar sensitivity, size, power handling, and impedance to a 6x10FE200 @ 1/3 the weight, but $100 more and 3/5 the Vd.

Another potentially great cab to ponder...
  8. kringle77

I am done experimenting for awhile but, I just thought this would be a great cab. I got the idea a long time ago when my brother bought a vintage ampeg v4 and matching pair of 4x12 cabs.
  9. kringle77

Just wanted to bump this thread since the faital pro 12pr300 drivers are now available in 16ohms. They would probably make a great 3x12 ported cab. Stacked vertical and with an added tweet or mid. I think that their VD is in the 300 + range so, 3 of them should be able to put out some sound.