1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sealed or Ported Cab for my SVT II (Non Pro) amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Sep 19, 2013.

1. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Hello

I am trying to find a good cab (smaller 2X10, 2X12, 15) to go with my Ampeg SVT II non pro. I realize "good" is very subjective so I will describe the desired tone.

Looking for; Tight, Round, Full, Warm, Big, with some color and grit. I realize that tone comes from the instrument and amp as well but cabs will help with some of this.

The bass player for Bruno Mars has the tone I am looking for. The link below demonstrates the tone almost perfectly. Not my style of music but love his tone. Great player as well.

First link is a Live version. The second link sounds similar but is more refined due to the recording process

Any positive ideas would be great
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get a good sounding cab, and don't worry about ported or sealed. Plenty of fine examples of both. I might check out the upcoming new SVT 212av's. I'll sometimes use two 210av's with my SVT, although it's more of a medium duty rig with those hooked up to it.
  3. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

JimmyM, any thoughts on the tone I am looking for? check out the link.
  4. Mr.Ben

Mr.Ben

Late reply here but if you are really looking for that sound you have to start with a P-bass. It won't matter what cabinet you use if you are using something else if you are really trying to capture that very distinct tone which only a P-bass can make. If you do have a bass with a precision pickup (preferably passive with a bolt-on neck and made out traditional tonewoods alder/ash/maple/rosewood) then the last piece of the puzzle that will get you the sound is probably a sealed cab with 10" speakers or 15" ported cab for a slightly more aggressive tone...but the bass is 95% of that sound...that and the amazing player that is popping the strings in that oh-so 70's fashion.
  5. pulse

pulse

couldn't have said it better than the above
  6. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes

The SVT speaker is of course sealed, therefore at cut-off it exits at a 12dB per octave rate. A vented system goes home at a 24dB per octave rate.

A sealed system works well with a loosely damped amplifier (as the SVT), a vented box DOES NOT. If you build a ½ SVT (4x10) with more modern drivers with kapton coil forms, (later SVTs, 1973) had them, you may find it to your liking.

Bill
  7. Snarf

Snarf Supporting Member

The sound you're hearing almost certainly isn't coming from the amp, and absolutely not from the cabinet. In a live setting like that, the bass is going direct out and the mix engineer is probably adding compression and EQ to his taste.

When you're looking for cabs, don't go by these types of videos. Amps and cabs are really only for stage monitoring (which is becoming less and less popular) or as the main driver in a small venue/club. Take your amp to a store and hook it up to a bunch of cabs and see what you like.

And yes, you need a p bass to get the sound on the videos.
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I had plugged my SVT-II (non pro) into a pair of Bag End 15's and it was quite a nice sounding rig.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bill Hughes, as in the inventor of the SVT Bill Hughes? AWESOME!!! Welcome aboard!
  10. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

Is it really Bill Hughes?!?

If so.. it's REALLY cool to have someone like that on the forum.
  11. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes

It is I.

I am now retired from my position at FENDER, where I was Chief Engineer, Electronics.

Since retirement, I operate Hughes Engineering services in Scottsdale Arizona.

Bill
  12. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

Really cool to have you here. I'm sure there's a huge wealth of knowledge and experience that can only make this place better.

Welcome to talkbass!
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ditto, Bill. BTW, I have an original 69 SVT, one that Ampeg supplied to Doug Ingle from Iron Butterfly. Still has 6146b's in it, too, although the tube relay is long gone and replaced by a shorting plug.
  14. Sartori

Sartori

Yeah, this.

There are lots of great, also very different sounding cabs, in both categories.

My cabs are both ported (Sunn 2000S 2x15, and Ampeg SVT-15E single 15" speaker cab), and sound somewhat different from each other, but I've played several outstanding sealed cabs as well (including an Ampeg 810E, a 4x10, and an old 4x12).

It's really better to just look for "sounds good," and not worry about ported or sealed.
  15. Sartori

Sartori

Hmmm, looks like this thread is a month old, I just noticed. Hope the OP found a cab by now.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bill Hughes can revive any thread he wants...he invented the SVT ;)
  17. Sartori

Sartori

Wasn't a criticism, just an observation. :p
  18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

"retired from . . . Fender" . . . I wonder if he had a hand in the new Fender tube amps (SB300 and 100T)?
  19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

It's very difficult to tell from the live video, but as has been stated, you're most likely hearing a DI, either from the player's amp or from a DI box; and if that's the case, the board and the PA are going to have a much lower roll-off than any cabinet, ported or sealed.

The bass in the studio recording does sound like a sealed cabinet...or at least the studio wizardry is done to mimic a sealed sound. It also sounds like it was recorded with a P-bass that had a Maple fretboard.

For the record, while I love the sealed sound, I've used my SVT-II Non-pro with nothing but ported cabs and it sounds great.
  20. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes

The SB300 was designed by Dave Lewis, and it uses the same power amp as the Sunn / Fender 300T, which I designed. The Sunn 300T and 1200S share the same hybrid preamp. The 100T was designed by
    Ija Kothrade at FENDER.

The SB300 preamp is Dave’s design and is way different.
    Dave and I worked together for many years, and we still are good friends.

The power amp in the Sunn 300t and the SB300 is an evolution from the SVT, and was a product of enlightened thinking.

The output transformer is slightly smaller than that of the svt, (I believe) but the laminations are of a superior grade of material (M6 iron).

The phase inverter is better than that of the SVT, and only has coupling capacitors at one point (between the 12AX7 phase inverters and the 12AU7 cathode) follower grids that biases and drives the 6550,s.

There is also a microcontroller that establishes and tracks quiescent current (bias). The bias controller is the invention of Chuck Adams, also with FENDER.