1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SEAN CHAMBERS BAND

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by zon6c-f, Dec 13, 2013.

1. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I know..this is a bass forum, so at the end,I will gladly discuss bassist Scott Allen.

Note to moderators: My comments are MY personal opinions...not an affiliated nor commercial endorsement..just the facts and LIVE.

My wife and I love electric blues. Last night, we had a rare treat. We saw Sean Chambers Band live in Atlanta.
    The band was cramped on a tiny stage..half the size of a typical house kitchen, yet they performed as though they were on an arena stage.

It was a small club on a Thursday night...crowd was at times sparse. We met the band one-by-one. There were no rock-star attitudes. Each member treated us and anyone wishing to meet them, with patience, kindness and respect.

Although our introduction to his music is fairly recent, Chambers has been around for a while, after going to the school of hard knocks and blues with graduate studies under Hubert Sumlin. You can perhaps describe Sean's sound as 'Texas Shuffle meets Florida swamp'.

First time we heard Sean was on a blues show on a local college station. When they played his IN THE WINTER TIME..My wife pulled her car over. We sat in ecsatcy as we heard IN THE WINTER TIME LIVE...10 minutes of ear candy. I digress..back to last nights show..

Sean's new lineup is fluid. Sean leads his band without any jabber between songs..no one had to constantly tune..all pro. House PA was EV/ Mackie. Of course, I brought ear plugs, which never left my pockets as the volume was low enough to where I had no need for hearing protection..no ear-ringing later nor today as a result. EXCELLENT!

Chambers used one white Strat, a small Mesa and tiny Fender amps ands a small array of floor pedals, which he had excellent command of.

Drummer, Paul Brodrick was solid..flawless and in the pocket. Recent addition on keys is Paul Brown, who plays with a joy and passion..as though there were 2000 more in the crowd. Ocassional harp was excellently played by Gary Keith and bassist Scott Allen played passionately...in the pocket ..yet grooving the whole night.

Bassist Scott Alllen used an Ampeg Pro 2, through a G-K 4X10. His bass was his 2nd choice..a Peavy 4 string Melinium; strung rounds. Scott used no effects and played finger-style.

His tone was punchy..not bright..solid. I told him that if I was blind folded I would have sworn he was using a 361 without a w-horn cab.

Scott's finger work was articulate..clean without sounding sterile. He filled space without over playing and his personailty shown throughout the entire night.

I hope Sean keeps this line up as it will be vey hard to find another cohesive unit that will follow and perform as fluidly.
  2. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

Forgot to mention that Chambers just completed a stint with Blackfoot, as Rickey Medlock has joined Skynnard.