Searching for a Pick..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Splintered Skul, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I usually play bass with a pick and I've been using the Dunlop Max Grip 1.14mm's for awhile now. They've worked well, I liked the grip, the thickness did the job. I decided to go ahead and try out the Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III 1.38mm's. I loved the shape, it was fast and the thickness helped cut through more without being overtly thick. The only problem was that I wasn't aware of how incredibly small they are. Now, the small size adds to its speed, however, it is just too small for 1. the thick strings I have on my bass and 2. there's not a whole lot to grip and get the power behind. Does anyone know of a pick that is a mix between these 2? Really grippy, Jazz III shape, 1.14 - 1.38 thickness, and in between in size? (Not as big as standard but not as small as Jazz III) I saw the Jazz XL's but they don't have the textured grip. Anyone got suggestions? And it doesn't have to be Dunlop, just what I happened to discover and like
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

You can also buy a pick and just sand it with some sandpaper :) A friend of mine did it with his picks. He uses some small picks with a smooth surface, but when he sanded them, they give a very good grip :)

Or, maybe you like the (Tri) Stubby picks from Dunlop. Pretty big and they have a grip section in the middle.
  3. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

The sanding sounds like a good idea. I might get some XL's and if they aren't grippy enough I'll take the sandpaper to em.
  4. Tamey75

Tamey75

The past few gigs i took a serrated knife to the nylon dunlops works great for grip
  5. kilgoja

kilgoja

i use fender california clear heavy pics.
  6. RockNRollAl

RockNRollAl

7. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I know this thread has been dead for awhile but: just got some jazz Xls. Perfect shape, size and thickness. Solved problem of grip with a file and serrated knife
  8. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

If you have any more issues with grip my dad used to either use a hole punch or a drill to put a 1/4 inch hole in his picks. Really have you something to hold onto.