1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Searching for a Pick..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Splintered Skul, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I usually play bass with a pick and I've been using the Dunlop Max Grip 1.14mm's for awhile now. They've worked well, I liked the grip, the thickness did the job. I decided to go ahead and try out the Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III 1.38mm's. I loved the shape, it was fast and the thickness helped cut through more without being overtly thick. The only problem was that I wasn't aware of how incredibly small they are. Now, the small size adds to its speed, however, it is just too small for 1. the thick strings I have on my bass and 2. there's not a whole lot to grip and get the power behind. Does anyone know of a pick that is a mix between these 2? Really grippy, Jazz III shape, 1.14 - 1.38 thickness, and in between in size? (Not as big as standard but not as small as Jazz III) I saw the Jazz XL's but they don't have the textured grip. Anyone got suggestions? And it doesn't have to be Dunlop, just what I happened to discover and like
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

You can also buy a pick and just sand it with some sandpaper :) A friend of mine did it with his picks. He uses some small picks with a smooth surface, but when he sanded them, they give a very good grip :)

Or, maybe you like the (Tri) Stubby picks from Dunlop. Pretty big and they have a grip section in the middle.
  3. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

The sanding sounds like a good idea. I might get some XL's and if they aren't grippy enough I'll take the sandpaper to em.
  4. Tamey75

Tamey75

The past few gigs i took a serrated knife to the nylon dunlops works great for grip
  5. kilgoja

kilgoja

i use fender california clear heavy pics.
  6. RockNRollAl

RockNRollAl

7. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I know this thread has been dead for awhile but: just got some jazz Xls. Perfect shape, size and thickness. Solved problem of grip with a file and serrated knife
  8. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

If you have any more issues with grip my dad used to either use a hole punch or a drill to put a 1/4 inch hole in his picks. Really have you something to hold onto.