Searching for lighter knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vanceman, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Vanceman

Vanceman

Recently I removed the 3 chrome dome style knobs from my Fender J, and noticed how heavy they were. I swear, it felt like a pound. I think they are solid brass. I've been searching the internet, but can't find the same style knob in something lighter.

Does anyone know where I can get these? Heck, I'd even go chrome plated plastic if they aren't too cheaply made. I'm putting my basses on a diet.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Why not use the OEM plastic knobs?
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I agree J bass needs J knobs. Strat knobs look cool too. You may not agree.
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Most cheap guitars with chrome knobs are chromed plastic. If your bass has split-shaft pots, you should be able to find some on eBay from China for damn near nothing.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

Really? The knobs are too heavy? That's a new one on me.
  6. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree. Go with the original black plastic OEM Fender Jazz Bass knobs.

Vanceman does have a point. Vintage pre-CBS Fender P Basses had chrome plated aluminum knobs and they were pretty light weight.

Can't get those anymore and now all chrome knobs are chrome plated brass and very heavy!

Strange! But on the other hand, the chrome didn't hold up very well on the aluminum.
  7. Vanceman

Vanceman

That what I thought too. :D As I approach 60 years old, it's the small things that count.
  8. Vanceman

Vanceman

I don't have all the knobs. I converted from active to passive. 2 regular, 1 stacked, 1 small. I liked the look of the domed ones.

I guess I could just get one more regular Fender knob.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

Fender used plastic stacked knobs on some of their active Jazz basses. I had one.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

3 or 4 if those heavy brass knobs can add about 1/2 lb. to a bass. I just subbed the heavy 4 knobs and switch knob on my Gretsch bass with plastic and the bass now weighs 10 ounces less than it did with the heavy knobs.
  11. freatles

freatles

12. Vanceman

Vanceman

13. wideload

wideload

Have thgknobs.com make you some custom knobs. Wood, aluminum, lights, they can do it all. But then, you still have a Fender... :)
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

People dont realize how much the little things add up when it comes to weight ... I used to race sprint cars and it was unreal what guys were spending on lightweight components ... titanium nuts and bolts, etc .. if you wanted to be fast you needed to be light ... the only thing I have left from those days is a very nice scale that we would weigh each component on before it hit the car ... attention to detail ..

... the heavy chrome dome Fender style knobs with a set screw (P style) are .07 lbs each .. a set of 3 are .21, or almost a 1/4 lb ...

... the plastic Fender J style tophat knobs are .01 each, or a set of 3 is .03 lbs, or 1 ounce ...

.. just what everybody wanted to know, I am sure ... :eyebrow:
  15. Hues

Hues

16. MR PC

MR PC

Ernie Ball is selling lightweight black aluminum domed knobs in pairs for about 10 bucks. For solid shafts with set screws. Very nice.
  17. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist Supporting Member