1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Second order harmonic distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mastershake, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mastershake

mastershake

How can I achieve this without a tube amp. Any recommended gear?
  2. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

3. mastershake

mastershake

Anything less expensive?
  4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Aren't there 100 overdrive/distortion pedals out there that do this?
  5. mastershake

mastershake

That would be my question too.
  6. scottfeldstein

Can you say more about the sound you're trying to achieve? Distortion pedals can be very different in character...
  7. scottfeldstein

Without further input, I'd say you might want to look into the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal, especially for nailing those retro tube amp sounds. For even bigger distortion, the Darkglass B3K is getting a lot of attention. If you want something with a DI attached so you can send an ampy sound to the FOH, look into the SansAmp Bass Driver DI, the Hartke Bass Attack, The MXR M80 Bass DI+, the Aguilar Tone Hammer and the Darkglass B7K.

But all these units are really different from one another. Everything depends on the kind of distortion you're looking for.
  8. mastershake

mastershake

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the fist model of the Sansamp VT Bass pedal but unfortunately it doesn't have speaker simulation defeat switch of newer models.
  9. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

IIRC, adding second order harmonic distortion is not like OD or distortion from a pedal, but adding more of a "fullness" to your tone, something very pleasing about it when it is there. Your best bet is to try and find a used MusicElectronix/Zeibek Submarine. They show up used around here on occasion. Mine isn't going anywhere.