1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Secret Santa

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo Coffee Coffee Bassist Supporting Member

I have to get one of my coworkers a secret santa present. I don't really know the guy, though. So, what should I get someone I hardly know for $20? Suggestions?
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I love gift cards - can never go wrong. The person always gets what they want! Times are too tough to spend money on something that's going to get re-gifted or tucked away in a closet.
  3. newyorkiddo

Yeah, gift cards are a great idea, but, i'm almost certain everyone will receive a gift card. that would just seem boring and uncreative.
  4. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

Yep, gift cards are a good bet. Either that or a nude picture of yourself. I mean; everyone likes art right?
  5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Put some effort into getting to know the guy, at least his superficial interests, and then get him something along those lines.

I signed up for reddits secret santa gift exchange. They match you up with someone and you get to read their profile info. I got some 15-20 year old who likes South Park, Joseph Heller, and Masturbation. I got him a South Park gift kit, 'Closing Time', and a picture of my gf's boobs.

Someone who was matched with me sent me a $50 Amazon Gift Card (though it suggests we spend no more than $20).
    I used it to by a Korg Pitchblack tuner, as I want a tuner on my pedalboard.
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

7. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

These are so epic, I don't even know where to begin! :D
  8. stevetx19

stevetx19 Supporting Member

9. newyorkiddo

Man, you guys are hilarious.
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

This year, I purchased a Hummingbird feeder, a "See Rock City" minature barn/bird house, a soft sided cooler, and 2 lbs of Starbucks coffee for 20.00 each.
  11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

My best friend received some from me for his birthday last year.

"What am I supposed to do with this!?!"
  12. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

Geez... Use your imagination?
  13. Gazman

Gazman Supporting Member

The correct answer should be a 12 month supporting membership to Talkbass
  14. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Movie theater passes.
    Restaurant gift card.
    Coffee mug/thermos bottle.
    LED flashlight.
  15. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

I didn't know my gift recipient very well, but found out enough to buy a lovely scarf for her. Not sure who got me, but whomever it was knows the office admin who sits next to me. She and I occasionally go to concerts together, and we trade ideas on shows to attend. My secret santa bought me a ticket to an upcoming Mother's Finest show that I've been wanting to attend.
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman

Two years ago, my secret santa bought me the Fender Custom shop wall calendar, and she gave me a good number of picks, from very very thin to pretty darn thick. She put a tiny bow on each pick, and she hid them all over my cubicle, so that I was finding picks for months afterwords. That was my favorite secret santa ever. This year, I declined to participate. Let's face it, no one will ever top that one. I saved all the pictures from the calendar, gave the thick picks to Arthur, and use the thin ones for acoustic guitar.

NICE

As for the cream/lotion, above, google Steve Martin's All Natural Beauty Creme, and see what you get.
  17. bassteban

bassteban

18. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

No kidding!

Now that's money well spent! :D
  19. bassinplace

bassinplace

That's awesome! Didn't know they still played. I'm gonna see if they're coming to my neck of the woods! To OP: talk to someone who knows him and go from there.
  20. bmc

bmc