Seeing familiar actors in unfamiliar roles

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

The other day I watched a movie from 1981 that I remembered liking. It was "Excalibur", about King Arthur, pretty cool movie if you like that sort of thing. Anyway, I was surprised to see Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) and Liam Neeson in minor roles. I was also surprised to see how hot Helen Mirren was back in the day.

Who have you seen in an unexpected movie or show?

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

I just watched "Krull" for the first time in a long time the other day, and Liam Neeson was in that one, too.

Also just realized today: the guy playing Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit movies (Martin Freeman) is the same guy who played Arthur Dent in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" movie. Bizarre.

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

"Back in the day"?!?!? You mean Wednesday? Helen Mirren was hot today. (And she still will be hot tomorrow.)

:hyper:

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Back on topic...

Not so much an "unexpected movie or show" but more along the lines of "familiar actors in unfamiliar roles"
    ...I'd say that 50% of the roles that Charlize Theron plays I do a double-take halfway through the film when I finally recognize her. It's like there are two Charlize Therons, one who is instantly recognizeable and who portrays a very similar character in all her movies, and the other who is a chameleon, completely disappearing into her role, stretching boundaries, defying convention, and not looking at all like Charlize #1.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

Tyler Perry is in a serious movie and plays a male. Does that count?

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

I saw badass Boyd Crowder from "Justified" playing the role of a victim on an older episode of Criminal Minds.

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

RE: Theron, I just looked up her filmography and I never would have guess she was Rita from Arrested Development.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

One of my favorite roles!

"Yes Michael, I want to have sexual relations!"

10. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

...who made his name playing Tim in the UK version of The Office (or Jim, in the US version). And he plays Watson in the BBC's stunningly good interpretation of Sherlock Holmes.

11. Batmensch

Batmensch

Leonard Nimoy once played a young pearl diver on an episode of "Sea Hunt" and a Martian in the old cheesy movie serial "Disc Men from Mars", and a reporter in an Outer Limits episode.

12. nickbass79

nickbass79

Speaking of Helen Mirren, I stayed at Castle Stuart in Inverness which is where Mrs. Mirren had her honeymoon. There was a book about her life there and some nude pics of her when she was younger. Wow!:eek: I haven't looked at her the same since.:bag:

13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I was surprised to see Bryan Cranston playing Cohaagen in the new Total Recall. He was the only good actor in it. :bag:

14. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Cranston's great.

15. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Definitely!

But, because of that, he inadvertently made Colin Ferrel and Kate Beckinsale come across as even more wooden than they normally are!

16. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IvswzP_jg0

One of my favorite TZ episodes. Didn't find out that the hottie was Samantha, aka, Elizabeth Montgomery, till I watched it with my grandparents and they recognized her. Also, Charles Bronson.

Really though the Twilight Zone is chock full of famous cameos. Sorta adds to the fun while watching through them.

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Yeah, I love Sherlock. Apparently new episodes are being filmed in early 2013 which is a very good thing in my mind.

A young Christopher Walken on Hawaii Five O

Cranston shows up in a few places. He had a recurring role on Seinfeld as the dentist whose name I can't recall at the moment. My kids were watching Madagascar 3 and he's in the credits as doing the voice of the Tiger with the Russian accent. I would have never guessed it was him.

18. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Back a couple years ago when I watched Band of Brothers for the first time I was surprised to see David Schwimmer as Capt. Sobel.

Does he ever not fit that role.

--Silvie

19. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    isn't that the point? shouldn't every actor want the chance to use their craft to its fullest? i would think most wouldn't want to be typecast. i guess if you're talking about something like.... say, Ron Pearlman doing a sitcom on disney, then i'd agree that's unusual. i'd suspect all actors at least try to keep each character unique. whether or not they can is a different story (see: anything with kristen stewart). then there are the "journeymen" type players that can get away with just being themselves no matter the script or character, and nobody seems to care (like rick moranis in "knocked up" for example).

20. Batmensch

Batmensch

He's also the voice of Lieutenant (sp?) Gordon in the recent Batman:Year One animated feature.

21. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Red Foreman as Clarence Bodicker in RoboCop is a perennial favorite. "Bitches Leave" trumps "Dumbass" in my book.

And Liam Neeson in Darkman, was pretty much Liam Neeson in every film after it......