Seek small cabinet opinions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ronlitz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ronlitz

ronlitz Supporting Member

I'm a P-bass player. Current rig: Markbass LMIII with two Aguilar GS112 cabs. I want to replace the cabs. I bought these many years ago when they first came out - at that time, they were about the only small, lightweight (kinda) cab that had decent bottom. The problem is, as a P-bass player, I value mids more than anything - and they are lacking in mids. So - I want two lightweight cabs for a P-Bass and LMIII - I take one cab for a small gig, and two cabs when I need more. I don't want the cab to weigh more than 37 lbs (the weight of the Acme). Some cabs I am considering (but I'm open to anything):
    - Markbass 102P (2x10)
    - Markbass New York 604 (4x6)
    - Markbass 121H (1x12)
    - Hartke Hydrive 112
    - Acme Low B112 Flat Wound (1x12)
    - GK Neo 112 (1x12)

FYI - I always turn the tweeter off if possible, and I usually roll the tone knob back halfway - so highs are not my thing. I probably won't be able to listen to all of these cabs - any advice on what would work best for P-bass would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I have a GB Streamliner 900 and I have a pair of the NY 604's. I use them exactly the way you described, one for small gigs and two for the larger ones. I love these cabs. Great big full sound whether using one or both. I just picked up a TH500 for smaller gigs, but I am still messing around with it. The cabs are definitely worth checking out. Good luck.
  3. klokker

klokker

Check out the neo 12's from Genz Benz before you buy.
  4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Have you considered Genz Benz? The Focus line is pretty affordable and I think they would compliment a P very well (not only a P, of course). For that matter, GB in general has a voice that it is not overly bright (not the sizzle of a SWR, or EDEN) and the bottom is very tight with good mid projection:

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2857&sid=704&cid=96

The NOEX112 is outstanding:

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1435&sid=426&cid=96

This one is a little heavier than your 37lbs top, but honestly is very easy to lug around, plus it sounds fantastic:

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1919&sid=426&cid=96

Some suggestions

M
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ronlitz

Thanks for the input. What made you choose the NY604 over the Markbass 2x10 or 1x12?
  7. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

The Barefaced Midget gets rave reviews and is only 20 pounds weight :)
  8. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Man I would highly recommend the fEARful 12/6 or a Thunderchild 112.

You can check them out here;
    http://greenboy.us/fEARful/

There are plenty of threads on these awesome cabs. The authorized dealers on the home page can also help you with choosing the right fEARful or Greenboy designed cab. IMHO these cabs completely blow away the competition and are among the lightest/smallest, most efficient cabs in the industry.

Another really good option is AudioKenesis;
    http://www.audiokinesis.com/akprosound.html

Duke is coming out with some really awesome cabs that will have a 15" and two 4" mid drivers that is in the testing phase right now. These cabs are also incredible compared to the competition.

In the 30 some years that I have been playing bass I always thought that a cab was just a cab and I always stuck with 4X10 cabs because I thought I was getting the best "punch" and strongest mids. In my long search for finding a lighter/smaller rig, I have found that a 2X12 or 1X15 with a mid driver crossed over at the right frequency is not only lighter, but also actually more efficient at producing the tone you describe.

BTW, I play a lot of Country/Classic rock on my 5string with round wounds, but I also play a lot of Motown and Stax Era stuff on my P bass with flats on it too, so the tone you describe is exactly the tone I sought after for years. Now I have it in a light, compact, highly versitile package.

My current setup is a GenzBenz SuttleMax 9.2 through a single 15 cab. I have to boost the mids a bit to get the tone I want, but the cab is only 32 lbs and the head fits in my gig bag.:hyper: If I need to move more air, I plug in a second single 15" cab and have 900W @ 4ohms. The speakers they use in these cabs are extremely efficient and are awesome at low levels or pushed to the max.

This combination has proven to be great for small coffee houses as well as large out door stages. The two cabs combined is comparable to an 8X10 fridge IMO but it sounds like a single 12/6 or 15/6 would do the trick for you.

BTW, in case you were wondering, I am not sponsored by either of these two companies and I'm not a fEARful "activist". I just call it like I see it. I unofficially endorse them because I use them and I genuinely think they are the best in the industry.

Good luck.
  9. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

At the time I had an Avatar TB153 and I wanted something for practice and small gigs. I found a used 604 on TB and bought it to try out. I was impressed enough to buy another used one and sell the Avatar. I had thought about trying out the 804's, but at roughly 19" square, these are hard to beat. There is a lot of light weight cabs out there. I would go to GC and try some out. Have fun.
  10. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

GK Neo 112s handle 300 watts. The GB 112 looks good as well, handles 200 watts.
  11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Syco Bass, thanks for the mention.

Roger Baer of Baer Amplification makes a very nice 112 + mid cab. Also there's the fEARful 12/6, bigger bottom end but lower efficiency (that's the inevitable tradeoff). I doubt that there's a wrong choice between the two.
  12. ronlitz

Has anyone A/B'd a Markbass 102P (2x10) to the NY604 (4x6)? I had a chance today to play the 102P, and I thought it was great. I live in the D.C. area, with three Guitar Centers, and none of them have the NY604 (and only one had the 102P).
  13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Avatar 1x12 or 2x10. Huge power.
  14. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

+1.
  15. Funkmeister79

Funkmeister79

I used to play a P with a LM2 and two Epifani PS 112's - those cabs are all about the low mids.
  16. philtoler

philtoler

If you don't mind not having a tweeter then check out the Orange SP range. I have been using the little SP210 for ALL my gigs for nearly 2 years now and I absolutely adore it. I would recommend the Orange Terror bass amp but if you want a lot of flex over the mids better to get another make of lightweight amp.
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

+2
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I also dislike tweeter/horns.

Advice/Tip: Then you most likely won’t like crossovers with mid drivers either (for example a 12/6, etc).
  19. Blue

Blue

I'm a bit addicted to my EA VL208 ... but at almost 50#'s, some of these options seem intriguing.

Anyone have A/B experience?
  20. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The JBL E140 in a small box will meet these requirements.
    But... E140 is a 22.25 pound driver.

In less than one cubic foot (QB3), the E140 is very loud, has lots of mids and no bottom.
    A hand crafted 3/8" baltic birch cab with suitable bracing still comes in at 25 pounds, total weight.
    This is very Old School tone, but an easy carry.
  21. Not yet

Not yet

Had the Gs112s too, same issues, and just moved to 2 Neox112Ts. Streamliner 900 head.

Took just one last nite to gig where usually use two (smaller bar area) and it killed. Best choice made in a while