Seeking Advice: 17" Windows Notebook

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pbasswil, Jan 5, 2013.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil Supporting Member

Hi there,

I'm a longtime Mac user; I used to use Logic, now use Ableton -- mostly for practicing with drum plugins, but also for messing around with plugin synths and rhythms.

My 5 year-old 17" Macbook Pro is about to give up the ghost.
    My lousy eyes really need a 17" display, but Apple doesn't make MBP's that big anymore. The Apple store wants $2,000 for a refurb! Even the 15" ones are a major investment.

So with trepidation, I'm exploring the Windows side.

What minimum specs would I want in a 17" PC laptop for music?

On PCs, does the built-in sound depend on the video card? (I have a decent D/A interface, but would be doing a lot of listening/manipulating with headphones directly into the 'puter.)

What should I expect to pay, about?
    Any particular good deals going now?
    (I'm in Canada, but can get most brands.)

Are most DAWs and plugins ready for Windows 8? Or am I wise to opt for 7?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

- pbass

2. pbasswil

Bump-ti-bump-bump. :^)

3. sharp8874

sharp8874

Your probably gonna want a laptop with 4gb ram or more and at least a dual core intel proccesor and I think those are in the $600 to $800 range. Definetly get windows 7 instead of 8 unless you buy a laptop with a touch screen since windows 8 in designed more like a tablets operating system. Also windows 8 hides a lot of features like driver updates and sound settings (which you might need for running any DAW) I heard. The sound cards in most latops are pretty decent for output and some even have programs that allow you to do a little EQing.

Hope this helps

4. pbasswil

Awesome, it sure does help.

It sounds like there's not much more to consider than with Macs.

Not having a Windows past, I have to say Windows 8 is somehow appealing.
    It's hard to imagine that the latest version of the OS in 92% of the world's computers won't adapt to allow full professional sound settings...

But will most current DAWs and VSTs work with Windows 8??

Tia.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pbasswil

Hey all,

Just polling to see who's having luck with their DAWs and VSTs on Windows 8;

Any reports appreciated! :^)

- pbass

7. 3506string

3506string

I run a Compaq CQ60 I bought off ebay for around $150. I upgraded the ram and processor to 4gb and a Intel T8300.

I run Win8, reaper, and a focusrite 18i6. No compatibility issues. Much of the fuss over win8 being completely different is an exaggeration. The start menu and the addition of apps is the main difference.

8. pbasswil

Awesome, thanks for this.

I just found out that my DAW of choice (Ableton v.8.3) isn't yet rated for Windows 8, so it may be a moot point. However, after years of Mac OS I sure prefer the look of 8. We'll see.

Thanks again.