1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Seeking advice regarding 1973 Fender J bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M_Bdog, Feb 17, 2014.

1. M_Bdog

M_Bdog

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here :)

I have an early 1973 Jazz Bass. All parts seem to be genuine (serial, 4 bolt neck, pot codes, maple neck w/ black block, black body, white pickguard w/ 11 screws...Geddy Lee style). Only the pickups aren't genuine. I bought the bass as is many years ago.

Even though i don't play that much anymore, I'm thinking about refiting this baby and replacing the pickups with 1973 original ones.

I found a 1973 neck Jbass pickup online. The description mentions the pup reads 7.02K. I don't have much more info, except for a couple pictures of top and bottom. I can't see the bobbin for rust or else. And I honestly don't know much about pickups so I would need advice. They ask $250 (Aus/Can$) for it.

Of course I could contact the seller and ask away, but I first need to know what specific questions to ask.

I hope I'm allowed to post the seller's link. If not, sorry Moderator.

http://guitaremporium.com.au/collec.../fender-jazz-bass-neck-pickup-with-cover-1973

Please, feel free to tell me what you think :D

Thank you very much
  2. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

It might be worth the price if & only if it increased the value of the bass by more than price. You might be able to find out from someone who does appraisals whether original pups add that much value. With all other parts (pots, jack, etc) being original, all would need to be installed (soldering & configuration) just like original for the pups to add maximum value. After all that, you would have to sell the bass to realize the value gained.

As far as its useful value as a Jazz bass pickup, it's overpriced.
  3. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Man I bet that 73 bass is worth a pretty good chunk of dough. I would go for the pickups for the big win, then take that cash and put together a nice parts bass with premium pickups and a Warmoth neck. You will end up with a better bass and extra cash for a nice Bergantino cabinet. But that's just me.
  4. M_Bdog

M_Bdog

thanks for the replies guys.

I must confess that I don't necessarily intend to resell the bass. I just thought it would be a nice little project for myself to regive this bass its original allure.
    I understand any genuine pickup i will find will be somewhat overpriced for what it's worth. But if its not ridiculously overpriced, i might go for it, as long as they are in good condition because, well, i love this bass and still enjoy playing it a little :)

Cheers !
  5. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I agree. You could easily spend as much buying aftermarket pickups designed to get a similar sound. Enjoy!
  6. Fredde

Fredde

This sounds very familiar!

I bought a 1973 jazz with non-original pups some time ago. I was actually happy it was modded, because it fit my needs perfectly and an all original would have exceeded my budget.

It came with some replacement pups of unknown brand (maybe SD), so I swapped them out for a set of brand new AV '75 pickups instead. They didn't cost much, they sound great and I'm happy. I will probably never sell this bass, so getting real 1973 pickups is not a high priority for me. I keep an eye open, of course, but it would have to be a really good deal for me to jump at it. And then I would most definitely want to buy both pickups as a set.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I would wait and find a matching pair for sale. They come up more then one may think (esp on ebay), and spending 450-500 on a pair that most likely came from the same bass to me is better than buying one and waiting for another.