1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Seeking closed back tuners; 11/16" peg hole

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cy_Miles, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

I know this I am not the first person seeking these, and I tried hard to search the forum but could not come up with the magic search terms... so I'll just ask...

Does anyone know of any closed back tuners (Gotoh style,) that utilize an 11/16" peg hole?

I have two 83 Ibanez Roadstar basses who's tuners have been breaking over the last few years, and now I can't put together a set of four between them.

I know that I can, (and probably will at some point) fill the holes with cross grain dowels, and drill the 9/16" hoies that the modern standard tuner uses. I just don't want to,

For one I kind of like having the extra girth on my string post, and secondly, I just don't want to mod otherwise perfect instruments, unless I have no other choice.

I would prefer the closed back tuner with Y knobs, but I would also be open to a mini-opened back, or one other semi-opened like Hipshot has out.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

so the originals had a smaller tuner body but the big post?

the hipshots are all i can think of; they'll be a nice lightweight upgrade, too.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I have to agree. The Hipshot 1/2" Ultralites would be perfect and, IMO, the exposed gear is kinda classy looking. In your situation, I would have no trouble recommending the licensed imports here:

http://www.sporthitech.com/brands/Hipshot.html?page=2&sort=featured

Small footprint but with full-size post. If there's a tolerance discrepancy, you can always use metal tape (...or any other material) to fill the gap.

Riis