Seeking lightweight powerful accurate tall thin 2x10 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Which 2x10 cab best meets the following specs? Here's what I'm looking for and why:

Lightweight - for obvious reasons.

Powerful - should handle 400w or more at 8 ohms. I would be using a pair for a 4 ohm load on the amp. I would match it with one of the 8 or 900 watt hybrids, like a Streamliner 900 or an MB Fusion 800, PF800, something in that genre.

Accurate - I take DI off my amp to the FOH, I want to know what I'm sending up there. So, I want to try an uncolored cab.

Tall - I would be stacking a pair of 2x10s vertically. This gives a small stage footprint, good side-to-side dispersion, speakers up where my ears are, and amp controls at a convenient height.

Thin - Small stage footprint, fits in a sports car.

My current Markbass 102p cabs are good, they meet most of the above, but I could wish they were more transparent. I like the mid bump, but I'm concerned it may be leading me to EQ my signal with less mids than are needed for the PA. Also, they are pretty tall stacked but would be nice if they were a few inches taller. Maybe a front ported cab with the port and the two cones arranged vertically. It would be a minor goodness to get away from rear ports so I could stick my gig bag behind the cabs without worrying about blocking ports.

I'm not super worried about lows. IME rooms resonate enough that most of the time I'm dealing with too much low end. Besides, we run two 2x18 subs in the PA so the audience gets more than plenty.

Anybody make such a beast? fEARful? PA cab?
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

carvin MBE 210? 32 pounds and my pair of them sounds great...
  3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The 8-ohm-per-cab requirement is probably going to eliminate most of your boutique 210 ubercabs, like the Fearless F210.

If your goal is a pair of lightweight 8-ohm cabs that have good dispersion and approximate the sound of your DI into a good PA, and they don't have to be 210s, then you may find your range of options opening back up.
  4. Rockin Mike

Are there technical reasons why 8-ohm 2x10s are uncommon or is that due to lack of market demand?
    What compromises did Markbass make to get the 102p at 8 ohms?

One of the things I like about a 2x10 is the narrow face. It conserves stage space. As narrow as 12 inches would be optimal. There are a lot of 12" wide heads that would sit nicely on top. To this end, the ports on the F210 placed to the side of the drivers unfortunately add to the width. I had in mind something like the following, if a capital O were a driver and a lowercase o were a port:
    O
    O
    o

A 2x12 might be ok if that would buy a lot of some other spec.

Thanks very much for your help!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I'm not sure they're uncommon in the market as a whole, but you mentioned the boutique fEARfuls, and as far as I'm aware, no boutique builder is offering a fEarful (or Fearless)-class 8-ohm 210.

Now the reasons for this are not so much technical as economic: There simply aren't very many, if any, 10-inch, 4-ohm or 16-ohm neo-magnet "uberwoofers" on the market that easily fall into the bass guitar role, and that's a problem for small boutique manufacturers like the Greenboy authorized builders or yours truly, as it means we'd have to fork over the big bucks upfront for a custom run of such woofers.

I looked into doing a smooth-voiced 4-ohm 210 "ubercab" with off-the-shelf 10" Kappalite woofers, and concluded that it would actually cost more than doing the same thing with 12" woofers. Neither of course would meet your criteria, but my point is, it's harder to do a high-end lightweight 210 than it might seem at first glance, much less an 8-ohm one.

So imo you're more likely to find lightweight 8-ohm 210 cabs from a big manufacturer, for whom a custom production run is not a problem. That being said, the ability to handle a solid 400 watts without fartout is a stretch for most 210 neo cabs even if their rated power handling is higher, because the sort of excursion capability required is rare outside of uberwoofers like the Kappalites and their competitors.

Imo, ime, ymmv, etc.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're talking about the Bergantino AE210. Forty pounds, 400 watts @ 8ohms. One of my two favorite cabs of all time.
  8. darrenmt

darrenmt

There's the TC Electronic RS210/212 cabs that are 400watts @ 8ohms each.
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 to all of this.

What is the primary goal here? 10" speakers, small foot print. 8 Ohm impedance, weight, tonal clarity?
  10. obimark

obimark

I like my Markbass 210- has a VERY narrow profile as you ask, and reasonable good power handling capabilities. I have used it solo for band practice, but it is better when combined with another cabinet, be it a 112 or another 210.
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    ;)
  12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

You need a bigger car.
  13. RadioRob

RadioRob Supporting Member

Media:
  14. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

I love my older SWR Goliath Jr 2x10. It is heavier but they did them in 8ohm versions, if you can find them. They take a ton of power, I only us 1 for everything.
  15. Rockin Mike

I don't know if you have the same Markbass 210 that I do, they make more than one, but I'm not impressed with a single 102p by itself. For some reason they're pretty good as a pair stacked. I'm just trying to get to the next level above "pretty good" without sacrificing that lightweight and tall thin footprint.
  16. Rockin Mike

Primary goal is to find uncolored cabs with the lightweight tall thin going on so I can better tune my DI tone for the FOH.

I figure if my cabs are adding midrange and the PA is not, then the same signal that sounds good in my rig will sound too scooped in the PA.
  17. Rockin Mike

I think TC hurt themselves with the whole fiasco about fudging their amplifier power ratings. I don't know if I can trust their speaker numbers either.

Also if I'm not mistaken their cabs have a definite personality. They're part of the overall sound. I'm looking for something that just accurately reproduces the sound.
  18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If you can look past the impedance issue, I think you would find a single F210 meets all of your needs. There is a premium to pay for those small high power woofers though. You might find yourself just as pleased with the F112/F115for less cash. The kick back option helps with tight stages too.
  19. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    There aren't any fEARfuls with 10" woofers.
    But a stacked pair of 12/6s would be about 16" wide and 50" tall.
  20. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP,
    If you go for the custom build, have you consider a pair, each wired in series for a 16-ohm load?
    Your amp is SS, so no potential impedance problems.
    At low level / single cab loudness, a 16-ohm load is a non-problem for your amp.

When you are needing the full power of your rig, a 2x10 is not enough anyway.
    Adding the 2nd cab makes an 8-ohm 4x10.
  21. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They do. While I like the TC210 cab quite well, it does have more of a vintage vibe.

I would second the Bergantino AE210 suggestion, and I'll also throw out the EA NL-210, Glockenklang Duo, and TecAmp S210 (which I think has been discontinued, but the S212 Classic is not much larger).