1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Seeking Opinions or Reviews of Slatwall Rail for Hanging Instruments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Dec 31, 2012.

1. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I had been meaning to begin this project but kept putting it off. Now I pretty much have to complete it. I filled my 7-guitar stand, and have excess basses lying around the room.

I have decided that I like the design of a slatwall rail system, using angled guitar hangers to maximize space available to me. I think I narrowed down my preferences. I'm interested in either:

http://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_hanger_mx.html

Or

https://www.stringswing.com/category/products/slatwall-rail-systems

Has anyone actually used either one and/or could advise if one of them might be better? I kinda like the diamond plate slatwall rail from DiamondLife but I recognize the String Swing brand name already.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

either one would be fine, as long as the wooden ones have metal inserts and as long as anything you go with is mounted into the studs, not just the blank wallboard.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I would go with the hardwood version and as Walter wrote, make sure the screws go into studs. I have had MDF slatwall fail when it was loaded. One way to keep this from happening is to stagger the rows of guitars- first one mounted high, second one low, third one high, fourth one low, etc.

I saw that the second link has Rail-C at $79. I would use that or one of the others with hardwood. I have used the slatwall with aluminum inserts- you could hang a whole lot of guitars and basses on it without having to worry about it failing. This is a lot less expensive than I thought.

4. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Thanks! I emailed DiamondLife. They replied already, confirming the wood backing they're using is MDF, so I guess I'll have to go with the String Swing system.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo

Disclosures:
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    BIG thing to keep in mind, if the area where the headstock hangs has a rubber sleeve, Ive seen various types of damage from it. Also, lift the instruments once every week or so even if you have it cloth sleeved..

7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'll take note of the hanger coating. Thanks for the advice. I usually make it a point to pick up and practice with a different instrument each day.