Sekova Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sminnich, Nov 14, 2009.

1. sminnich

sminnich

Ok so I have a Sekova SG Bass it sounds great and all, but it's not my style. Ive been considering selling it for a while now because I never play it. So I'm wondering what does anyone know about these guitars? should I keep it or not fret about getting rid of it?
  2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

My very first bass was a Sekova! I bought it for $79 from We Buy Guitars on 48th Street NYC in 1974. It was a clone of a Hofner Beatle-bass.

I don't think there's anything inherently "collectible" or even really "desireable" about the Sekova brand, they're just one of a million other cheap Korean knock-off labels. So if you don't love it and aren't playing it there's no reason you should hesitate to part with it.
  3. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

I had a Sekova hollow-body as my very first bass in 1967. They only have collectible value largely like in my case, on sentimental value, if I could find one like my original.
  4. rickfan63

rickfan63

My first bass was a Sekova too back in 1978. It was a natural wood Jazz Bass copy with a maple neck and black block inlays, strung with Fender flats. I learned to play on it, then traded it in on a used 1977 Rickenbacker 4001 MG. I didn't think they were around any more.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gries Amplification
    Looks like we need a "My first bass was a Sekova" club. Mine was a red hollow body (like a Gibson 335 shape), single pickup, probably around 1968. Several years ago Jim Roberts mentioned in Bass Player that his first bass was a Sekova also. I emailed him a photo of mine - it was the same model he had.
  7. 69limeRev

69limeRev

Here's mine. They're not really worth much of anything, unless like me, you have an affinity for the quirkiness of 'em. I'd love to find one of the greenburst ones!

[​IMG]
  8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

My apologies for dredging up an old thread.

My first bass guitar was a Sekova solid body. It was had a four on a side headstock in the classic Sekova shape. It had two pickups, two rocker switches, and a redburst finish with a white pickgaurd. Sort of a jazz but not really.

If anyone recognizes this or has any pictures I would love to see them. I'd love to have it back again. I sold it in high school almost forty years ago to finance an amp purchase. Can't remember the guy I sold it to.
  9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Wow, this gets even weirder! Not only was my first bass a Sekova, but my first electric guitar was a Zimgar...but it looked absolutely 100% identical to that Sekova pictured above (on the right)!!!!!
  10. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

Here was what mine looked like....pickguard over the f-holes (never understood that!!)

[​IMG]
  11. lodi

lodi

After long research I found out, that my unnamed Japan hollowbody is a Sekova (by Aria?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. frrrosty

frrrosty

[​IMG]

This was my first Bass as well, I bought it at Hamptons dept. store for $70 (my birthday money). I loved this bass, played and sounded really well. I sold it for $25 after I got a Precision bass, but I would have hung on to it if I knew then . . . Even though it's a knock-off, it was made really well, solid and heavy. It was built way better that today's foreign-made junk. I recently picked up a "Precision Bass" made in Indonesia and is weighed about a pound. No sustain, action was crap, I'd take my old Sekova over it any day!

I realize this is an old thread, but I would keep the bass. You won't get much for it anyway, but if you still have it and want to sell it, I'll take it!

Thanks
  13. gndboy

gndboy

My first bass was a Sekova Beatle Bass knockoff in 1966. It got played through a Supro Thunderbolt. My, how times have changed!