Selecting a mini rig.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Rockin John

Rockin John

Hello guys.

Wow, I used to spend half my life on TB and now I see it's 18 months since I was last around.

Anyway ... age and poor health has finally caught up with me! I simply can't lug heavy / large gear about anymore. I've concluded that there's no choice but to buy small, light gear (or quit playing). The Ashdown ABM rig will have to go!

Until I saw a mate's Aguilar mini rig - 2off, 1x12 + Tonehammer head - I never knew this mini stuff existed. (I don't keep tabs on gear developments, you see). What amazed me, tho, was the sound for such small gear: simply teriffic!

So I'm now faced with the daunting task of continuing to plough through the available choices of neo speaker cabs + lightweight head ... which are, so far:-

The Aguilar rig, as above.
    or
    Rumble 112 + 2x8, + 350 head.

These alternatives have very different prices with the Fender stuff falling about mid-range: I can afford them all but am reluctant to spend if there's no real need. I mainly do small / medium bar room gigs with very occasional outdoor show where PA suppot is usually available. Doing 60s 70s rock covers, traditional R n B, etc, with (always) fretless and / or upright.

I've not heard any rig apart from the Aggy.

Views, wisdom, suggestions, thoughts, ideas, all gratefully sought.

Best.

J

2. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

If I might offer another amp idea; I have & LOVE the Ampeg PF-500 paired with the Ampeg PF-115HE. Total weight is about 50 pounds. 300 watts at 8 ohms (which is what this cabinet is). Compact, easy to transport, versatile and awesome tone. Price range is quite reasonable, too. I've had back issues for numerous years & have found this to be a great alternative to my "big rig".

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For me, I would be looking at a PF-800 and a greenboy Bassic15 loaded with a 15PR400. Sweet sounding rig. Total weight about 40 pounds.

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

I am using a Mark Bass Mini CMD 121 plus the extention cabinet. Great system and I may be selling it as i am changing my approach. This rig really is great, light, capable and loud if you need it, sweet when you want it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

+1

Or maybe a modular rig with two Bassic 112 cabs or a 115 and a 112.

Aguilar TH500, GK Mb800, Ampeg PF800 into two of those. Light, loud, versatile.

7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the sound of the 15's over the 12's when it comes to the PR series Faitals. The 15's are deeper, and actually higher to my ear.

That said if you like a little less lows, the Bassic12 and a PF-500 is a killer rig. I used one for about a week, and you cant believe how light the Bassic12 is. The one I used was 22 pounds WITH the optional tweeter.

8. rockiezz

rockiezz

I dig the Gk MB800, single rack space, 800 watts. I pair it with two Aguilar 2-10 cabs, NEO speakers. Not sure of total weight but I can choose one or two cabs 4 or 8 ohm. Thump for days!

9. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

Take a look at a Fearless
    Hey Don, I'm enjoying the F115 you built for me. Beautiful work, only 42lbs in okoume!
    I think you said an F112 you built in okoume was 35 lbs.
    Since this F110 is 31 pounds I'm assuming it is also okoume... please let us know if not correct. So, all 3, with tweets in okoume, are roughly:
    F115 42 lbs
    F112 35 lbs
    F110 31 lbs

http://greenboy.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2270

10. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

I have an Ampeg Pf350 and 2 210AVs. 11lbs for the head and 29 for each cab. I dig the tone and plenty loud for small gigs w no pa support and medium gigs with the line out or a mic.

11. Rockin John

Rockin John

Whilst weight isn't the deciding factor, it's a major issue that I have to consider. Being more or less unable to lift heavier stuff nowadays I have to be sure that cabs, etc, are really easy for me to carry.

For example the Rumble 1x12 cab comes in at a very good 24Lbs. The Aguilar SL112 at 25Lbs. Markbass HY112 at 29Lbs. Genz Benz FCS-112T at 32Lbs.

Surprisingly (to me at any rate) theres a massive price difference between these various units and I can't really understand why it should be so:-

Markbass NY112 £440 / $720
    Fender Rumble 112 £258 / $418
    Aguilar SL112 £655 / $1080
    Genz Benz FCS-112T £179 / $294

(Approx UK £ prices converted to USD @ 1.64 $/£)

This makes the Rumble set-up attractive because its nearly the cheapest, and it is the lightest of those on my current list. Problem is, I've never heard this beast and am never likely to. :confused:

Further suggestions and / or help much appreciated.

Tks.

John

12. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    They dont all sound the same. ;) You couldnt give me a rumble cab.

13. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

I have the same MarkBass rig CMD121p combo and NY121cab. My approach is just the combo for indoor gigs, double up for outdoor stages. The MB cabs lack the lows if you put them in the wrong place on stage. Usually in a club, there are subs and the CMD121p is just a nice personal monitor, I have the velcro tiltback stand. The matching cabs couple nicely when outdoors and have a rich sound. I am very happy with this setup.

14. Rockin John

Rockin John

Yes guys. Thanks.

Naturally they don't all sound the same but, unfortunately, I'm never going to be in a position to try different makes side by side.

OK on the Rumble cab. I did wonder if they weren't too well recieved. What do you find so bad about them, CL400Peavey? What do they lack that makes you think that way?

Btw, power isn't really such an issue. 95% of my gigs are in small, English pubs where 100 people (and more usually, 50) fills the place. I don't play clubs / venues that have a house PA / subs, etc.

Thanks for the Markbass info. I do have a leaning towards that set up.

Thanks. J

15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are in the UK you should look at Barefaced Bass. They make some very nice, small cabs.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a ton of gigs on a First generation GK MB112 combo on a stand. I have other louder, more capable stuff but nothing as convenient. It has a nice sonic heft to it - I did open the cab up and added some damping material to the inside. That took care of the boom that was a common complaint in the generation 1 versions. I think they fixed that in later editions.

I am most often in the PA but would not be uncomfortable gigging that amp in a 50 to 100 seater on it's own. Note that my volume requirments are not particularly loud though i do play along side a full drum kit. My drummer knows how to play softly as well as not so softly... If we were louder, I would use the 115 version...

Either way, they are eminently practical, grab and go amps for folks that gig and don't need paint peeling decibel levels.

17. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

one brand I would reccomend checking out if your wanting NEOs is Avatar. They are inexpensive and you can order them in different colors with different drills and stuff. they make 112s, 212s, and 210s with Neos.

SWR golight cabs are also also a breeze to pick up.

I used to use a big rig (ampeg 810e with a huge rack on wheels) I ended up getting a ampeg 410HE I found its about the lightest ceramic loaded cab with the output I need for my hard rock band. I still run the same pre XLR to FOH so my sound in the PA hasn't changed at all. I'm in the process of getting rid of my old heavy amp for a class D power amp not to cut 20lb off my rack.

I would recommend if your looking at 112 or 210 or even 115 cabs to get some kind of cart to help move them. 410s and 410 size 212 cabs with 4 wheels are actually the easiest to move for me

18. awilkie84

awilkie84

I second this! My PF-500 head has to be one of the best mini rigs I've seen. Mine's paired with a 410HLF, but the 115HE is great, too.

Don't rule out the GK MB series, either. They're ridiculously small, but pack a punch.

Also, for what you're doing, that Ampeg SVT mini stack is perfect.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

IMO, for what he needs, that PF-800 is overkill. The PF-500 @ 8Ohms through a 1x15 or 2x10 will be more than enough. :)

20. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Carvin's MB series needs a look as well.

21. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

UK people looking for lightweight bass cabs should check out Barefaced. They offer a one month free trial.