1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Self Critical

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jallenbass, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Thanks Justin for all that you've added to our community here. I really enjoy reading your posts.

I'm doing a recording project right now and find that even though everyone is complimentary of my bass playing I'm thinking "Really? What about this, this and that?"

I assume that I just have to get over it and do my best and appreciate the support. My question is: Does this ever go away for someone on your level or do you have so little, if anything, that you hear in your playing that bothers you?
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

It never goes away. It recedes, but never vanishes.

It's nice to have more tools in the toolbox, and that gets me through more. But it's still an issue.

I'd submit that it's the sign of caring about your craft I guess...always learning, that old cliche.

Just know that it's not only common, it's likely universal. Sometimes, as I get better, days go by where I feel proud and happy. And that's nice.

The growth is always positive.

J