Self-produced show?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Jan 11, 2013.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Due to the possible hassle of club booking and the fact that they take most o the money, I recently had an idea that may or may not be possible: to put on a show all by yourself. I could get a few other bands from my high school, find a place to play (ask the school, find a public park or someone's big house, etc), and put the whole thing on ourselves.

Get the word out orally and over the internet, and keep all the money from ticket sales. (The first time I would make it free, just to introduce he idea.)

Does this sound possible? Has anyone ever done this?

2. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Edited to change typo and title

3. carl h.

carl h.

Why would anyone want to see your show?

If you can't answer this, skip it.

If you can't afford nobody showing up, skip it.

I really do wish you well, but be real.

4. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

You can book shows on your own; that's what the DIY punk scene is all about. That being said, there's not a lot of money in local shows, whether you book them or have someone else book them. My advice for you, since you're still in high school, is forget about the money and do it. Throw a party and have bands play. Play shows for fun. Have a blast.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Back when punk rock was an underground movement and not a marketing term, this was pretty common. Ever heard of a "rent party"?

There might be a charge to have a show in a public park. You don't need a big house, just one with a big basement or garage. Once when I was a teenager, we threw a party where we played in the garage, and the audience was in the driveway. Invite two other bands to play, and charge $5 a head to get in. Don't do it free the first time or everyone will be bummed when you start charging.

This can work, I've seen it work, so don't listen to the naysayers. With all members of three bands talking it up to all their friends, spreading it on Facebook, etc, you could really have a good turnout.

Good luck!

7. socialleper

socialleper

I have done this twice with some pretty good level of success. One time we rented a dance studio and the other a VA hall. We had about 6 bands play at each and charged like $5 at the door. As I think about it, those were the only two times I've ever come out ahead at a show. It may have worked well for us because at both occasions there was a blind eye turned to under aged drinking (if not actively encouraged.) It was dicey business, but then so was nearly everything I did back then.
    The trick is you need your bands to have different fan bases or friends. That way more people come in. The other bands need to be reliable and be willing to cooperate with you. You also need a good PA. Some big dudes to watch the door and make sure drunks don't start fights is also a good idea.

8. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

That's good to hear. We have a big driveway so it could work. The only problem is the neighbors; I have a lot of elderly ppl on my street and I doubt they all would be ok with it...

9. JakeF

JakeF

Can you?

Yes.

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary "Hype!" to anyone thinking about doing this. It explores the scene and culture that resulted in the rise of "Grunge" music.

This was a critical element IMO to breed that sort of scene.

Plus you will learn a great deal more about how the entire industry works and the roles everyone plays. Try it.

10. najko

najko

I've done this a couple of weeks ago and it was quite successful. We set up an agreement with a local activities center and threw a gig for anyone to come. We invited our friends and family and about 50-60 people came. Also we announced it on our local town radio. It was non-profiting, but in the end we made 40€ selling beer and got to keep it. Now the activities center will try to look forward other bands and try to schedule this kind of gigs often, so we'll probably come back.

Wish you luck putting it all together. I tell you that people's always interested in this kind of thing, you just have to look for 'em. Bonus points if you find other bands interested.

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Might want to check on your local noise ordinance. If you do everything within the law, there's nothing anybody can do to stop you. Except, I assume, your parents. That might be the tough sell, I don't know.

12. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Isn't that what the VFW hall is for?
    I would avoid parks, house parties and school.

13. SnowCal

SnowCal

House shows can be a ton of fun. But I'd do it in the living room or a 2-car garage and have the audience in there with you. Two reasons. First is the cops. Bands rocking out in residential areas get shut down. So you want to move it indoors so it's not so loud outside. The cops will eventually get called anyways but you'll have more time. Also, a big crowd in your driveway looks loud. If you gotta do it outside use the backyard. The other reason to do it indoors is to create a good atmosphere. 50 people in your living room is awesome. It's like being in a packed venue. 50 people in your driveway doesn't feel as intense. And that affects the audience's energy.

14. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Good point, but wouldn't there be a problem with inviting that many people, some of whom you may not know, into your home?

15. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    It's definitely not too hard to put on a show. Hardest part is getting in touch with a venue. Otherwise, just find some bands to play it, promote it online and at the local schools, then show up and play. Set a reasonable price ($3-5 a person is pretty standard for smaller shows... just calculate based on how much the venue is taking) and enjoy.

Just set it up well in advance. 2-4 months. That gives you plenty of time to promote.

16. ibateur

ibateur

You can even "sell-out" and find a youth-oriented company (clothes, shoes, etc) to sponsor some of your costs.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If you are going to do the show outdoors such as in a park, most cities and towns will require you to obtain a permit, provide security, carry liability insurance, restroom facilities such as porta pottys, etc. You might be able to rent a hall but given the expense, I don't see how you will make any more money than you if you just played at a club.