Self Service Truck Delivery??!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaius46, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Gaius46

Gaius46

So we ordered a new shed to replace a beat up old fabric structure that currently houses my non running motorcycles, lawnmower and other gardening stuff and that didn't fare too well in the last hurricane and has only gotten worse.

Purchased through Amazon but with a 3rd party reseller. Since we're Amazon prime members shipping was free - which should have honestly caught my attention immediately given the size of the order.

Anyhow the shipper emails me over the weekend and says this is a "Self Service Truck Delivery" which means I have to get the boxes of the truck. 2 boxes, palletized, total weight of 680 pounds. Are they kidding? First I've heard of it, actually first I've ever heard of such a thing. We just redid the kitchen, got a new dishwasher, new clothes washer and dryer and all that was delivered inside. Apparently I stupidly assumed that they would at least bring the shipment onto the property (which is all I really need anyway)

They don't deliver on Saturday, and in any case don't supply dollies or any other hardware to get the thing off the truck, so I have to either pay extra to get the thing to the driveway, take a day off from work and get gear to do it myself (which is still gonna be a pain since it's just me and the wife) or refuse the shipment.

Am I wrong to be sorely tempted to take option three?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Im with you! Ive never heard of such a delivery service, myself.

3. stingray2112

stingray2112

I've heard of it before. Take this time to rent a huge forklift, grab a couple of cases of beer and have some fun after you unload the truck.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's not uncommon. If you're not able to accept the shipment, then go ahead and cancel it.

-Mike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

When ordering large tools, this kind of thing is very common. Grizzly gives purchasers the option to pay the driver to offload the equipment at checkout. Otherwise you have to do it yourself, or bribe the driver with H&B.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Not uncommon for LTL carriers. My Mesa cabs were delivered from M/B stacked and wrapped to a single pallet. Getting that off the truck was a HUGE pain since the driver wouldn't let us break the shrink-wrap until it was on the ground.

8. nickbass79

nickbass79

My wife ordered a large leather chair with an ottoman from Amazon, where they delivered the same way. I was at work, they called, made it to the end of our driveway and tried to drop it off there. My wife talked them into at least loading it in our 4Runner, it stuck out the back, she had to talk the driver into walking behind and making sure it wouldn't fall out. They wouldn't unload it from our 4Runner, take it in the house or anything else. They said it was an extra charge. Ridiculous! Glad I wasn't out of town or she would've been screwed.

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    +1.

The liability, time, and labor costs all go up when there's unloading involved, especially an unknown residential location with no guarantee of dock level delivery, fork lift/palate jack access, etc.

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

Re-did our kitchen and bathroom, and a fair portion of the cabinets, fixtures, appliances came with street delivery only (which can be exciting in the inner city, with large trucks that can't park.)

Sometimes you get the stuff inside yourself, sometimes if you're friendly and decent with the delivery guys, and they have the time, they'll give you a hand--especially if you make it worth their while.

"Common carrier" is typical for large stuff, especially if you've shopped the lowest price--fuel is expensive, logistics are expensive, so something has to give.

11. Gaius46

Gaius46

Well as it turns out I spoke to the shipper and the driver will at least get the packages to the curb as long as I'm there to assist him. From there in the worst case I'll just unbox the parts and get them onto my property and take down the old shed and put up the new the weekend after Labor Day. Costs me a vacation day since they can only deliver during the week (Friday) but that gives me an excuse for a four day weekend. Not a bad deal.

Now I know to ask in the future.

12. tplyons

tplyons

I used to do deliveries for a lumberyard/home improvement company. I was only required to unload at the curb.

My current organization has driver no touch contracts. We expect the people we deal with to have docks and forklifts.

For anyone who thinks a homeowner has what it takes for you to unload this is absurd. I'd look for another way to have that delivered. Or bribe a bunch of strong friends to take a day off.