1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Self Taught Music sight reading...!!!

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by rgarcia26, Jan 25, 2013.

1. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I have being learning by my self how to read music, I practice 15 min a day in the morning before leaving for work.

I being using the website "The sight reading factory" and I jump from L1 to 2,3 and now I am stock in L4

I keep a daily log of my practices and for Jan I am almost no progress from this level, I am thinking if is take me a month to move to level 5 and then to L6 I am maybe in the right track..

i am a GB player but Once I get to an good level of music reading I want to take classes for an DB that I restore a while back...

There is any advise for me???

Thank everybody...Ruben
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

It's kind of like weight training in a way, when you start you make a lot of visible progress and you quickly change your strength levels. But the more you do, the harder it is to make a smaller amount of progress. Hang in, you'll get past those levels too.
    You don't need to wait for a high level of sight reading to start studying DB, Simandl starts off pretty simply, rhythmically. Your teacher will have you working on as much physical approach stuff as sight reading ....
  3. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I agreed with you... I wanted to have a good foundation before staring with my DB studies

I am a a level that I can ready 1/16's but at a slow speed like 55RPM to 66RPM but if I tried to speed up i dont have enouth time to sight read.. specially playing alone with my bass
  4. Mugre

Mugre

This is normal. As you practice, that is, hundreds or thousands of hours not tens or hours, your brain will see those 16's as natural groups that have a "sound" just like you now read a "sight" word like "The" and you no longer have to analyze the sound of each letter to decode the word; you just recognize it. You will also get better at the beats of the measure no matter what group of 1/4 1/8 or 16 in combination you see.
  5. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I am feeling the way you said on the rhythmical structure with the forms in the same level, they repeat over and over, so I see then i know how they are, and before I was only practicing rhythmical patens so i am some how familiar with them, but when i add the notes names is another story... sometimes is hard to keep the right rhythm and for what I have read at this point is more important what I get the rhythm right...

My only issue with my very slow tempo is that I may be playing the 1/16th like more 1/8th when I see 1/16th in 120RPM even my playing ability may not be up to the task 
  6. bejoyous

bejoyous

Good for you for taking this on, few people have the self-discipline to do what you are doing. You may feel you are not progressing, but like all learning you will reach a plateau. If you keep at it, you'll suddenly find you'll be able to get over the hump.

You don't always have to have your bass in your hands to work on the exercises. Try just clapping the rhythm.

Just because it is called the Sight Reading Factory (great site btw) doesn't mean you only have to play it once and move on. You can practice a line until you get it right.

Also, you might want to pick up the Bach Complete Double Bass Parts by Zimmerman (or some other edition). Lots of the pieces are playable in 1/2, 1st up to 3rd position in reasonable keys and they more than 8 bars long plus it is great music. Also, the Bille method books will often take a rhythmic feature (such as quarter-note triplets) and make a whole page of exercises with it. By the time you are finished, you will be used to seeing it the rhythm and it will be easier.

If you don't have a teacher yet, I'm sure one of the bassists in the Miami Symphony could help you in your endeavors. Even a few lessons would good for you.
  7. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Thank you... I am really motivated to learn how to read... I want to be in a level that I can read good quantities of music... like reading a book.

Sometimes at my day time job I practice few minutes "Talking the notes"

some time Ago I was going thru the exercises of "Zimmerman"
    with my DB but I drop it, because I don’t want to caught an bad habit at the beginning, then It would be harder to learn the right way, and when I was playing with the Bow sounded like a Dying Cow...Lol

May be I should practice Zimmerman in my BG :meh:

"EDITED: Sorry i was confuced I thoung you were talking about F.Simandl i am not familiar with Zimmerman with one should i be looking at??? Thanks"
    I will take a look for the "Bible method" Book, I am not familiar with that collection.

Well about getting a teacher that's the way to go I will be getting to that soon... I need someone how can help me with my technique and guide me thru the learning process. Time/money is a little issue but hey it have to be done….

NOW one point about reading or sight reading... is there a difference between those two... I know they related to each other but at the same time reading a piece and sight reading isn’t the same....

or Maybe practicing so much reading take you to a point that you can eventually sight read....???

I say this because I am making a point of going thru a piece few time (may be only once) and move on to the next so I don’t play by memory
  8. philip sirois

philip sirois

I'm not sure I'm getting the waiting to be a proficient sight reader before you start playing DB. As Ed said you can certainly start simandl without being able to read it down on the spot. You just need to know where the notes are, and how to count out whole, half, quarter and eight notes, maybe an occasional sixteenth. Your going to work on those exercises slowly and repeatedly, building your technique. The physical part, bowing, position, right hand technique, playing in a relaxed way, etc, is the bulk of the work at the beginning and beyond. You can work on your reading as you go.
  9. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Now well When I was practicing DB by my self I did know how to read but in a bad level, at this point i can read it a lot better...I have the book on Google and i can read quickly the exercises pages... with all that said I should be ready to take some classes... But before I did not want my reading to get in the way of learning DB with a teacher, or in other worlds I did not wanted to waste my time trying to read the music instead of practicing the instrument...

I know where the notes are 95% in my BG, Know where they are in my DB but it takes me longer to finding out...

Know for sure i need to start deciding for an DB teacher here in Fl
  10. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Sometimes you have to push yourself to a level faster than you are comfortable with. Sometimes things will just "snap" in place one day, and other days you have to try pushing. Remember, gigs wont be at your comfort level always, so push for faster tempos, and even slower ones.

15 minutes a day is awesome.

Also, be patient. If it takes you all year to get to L5 or L6, isnt that still worth it if you are nailing it?
  11. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Well its makes me feel good that I may be in the right path, I am feeling more and more confortable with L4, I may jump to level L5 (Voice reading) and I wil follow with my BG
  12. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I am taking your Advise guys I already contacted an nice music academy running the principal DB in Miami Orchestra DB player Alex (Very nice guy)... and also other teacher that I am waiting for his call back...

Its going to be a little more that I would like to pay (budget is really tight right now :( ), but I think If I am not do it I will regret it later on...

Not to throw an impossible question but any one have an idea of how much $$$ should I be looking at when talking about privates classes?

And how often should i take lessons... I think the standard is once a week, I may consider twice a month due my impossible schedule?

If you got someone good in Miami please let me know!

PS I am not looking for specifics answers but I would like to have an opinion form people that got more inside on this, Thanks you for your help
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

One of the things I found that improved my sight reading - was singing! I go to a Jazz Summer school every year and there is a choir there, which I enjoyed and found helped my reading.

So last year, I joined a local choir and we are doing stuff like Mendelssohn, Faure Vaughan Williams etc. and the act of singing the bass part and reading these pieces is really making a difference for me.
  14. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I seriously have done nothing of singing written music... like 15yrs ago I was taking music reading classes and the professor oppose to it (he was a hard head man), and the reached us talked reading... I wouldn’t know where to start... but i guess it worth trying also
  15. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I got some new material for my reading Jazz mostly i an fighting with the Syncopation... I just fond that term :meh: ... Gosh is rough