1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Self teaching ...experiences?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

I was interested to learn that Francois Rabbath is self-taught - Simandl refers in his book 1 to self teaching as well. Without wanting to enter into the pro and against having a teacher debate, are there DB players here that are self taught, and how have you approached the journey, what has kept you motivated and where you have managed a lesson, what have you had to un-learn?

Thanks for reading!

2. Les Fret

Les Fret

If you have a musical background and a good teacher that has learned you the technical basics I don't see any harm in self teaching. Obviously I am not one of those guys who shouts 'ask your teacher' each time someone asks a question here. We have a will of our own and each person needs to find his own musical path. If you find your own musical 'solutions' you will be more likely to develop a more unique style instead of just copying someone else. As Rabbath says so nicely 'be your own teacher'. That doesn't mean that don't have to take lessons though and you don't have to invent the wheel another time. For some the self teaching works better than for others though.