Sell me on a good 112 or 210 Aggie, Berg?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Feb 8, 2014.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe and Bluesman Vintage Basses Gold Supporting Member

Ok I am thinking of upping my game to a more top dollar cab. I have always been an SWR/Eden guy but am thinking of maybe a Bergantino, Epifani or Aguilar? Looking for either a 112 or preferably a 210 that will sound great with my Markbass F500. I do a variety of stuff from jazz to pop to country. Not looking for a high wattage rig but just the best sounding smaller cab I can get for the money.
  2. armybass

Really, nobody wants to talk about cabs?
  3. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I'm really digging my Aguilar DB112-NT if that helps! Powered with 500 watt head it is loud, clean and crisp. Stunning pro level sound.
  4. vin*tone

vin*tone

IMO IME the Aggy 112 cabs aren't great as a standalone solution. Too deep, wide and short. Great if you have ears on your ankles. I'm preferring the Berg HS210 - very even, honest tone, and sits well on its side coupled with a micro head.

I've not tried the Aggy 210, OR the 2x8 "Jack Cassidy" if you could find one could also be interesting.
  5. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

If you like the tone from your Eden and SWR I wouldn't make that change. Ive had Bergs and Aguilars. They are both excellent but have a different baked in tone than the Eden.
  6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Hey Scott,
    I owned a F500 and it did not match up well at all with the Berg 12, and I find it to be a much better cab than either of the Aguilar 12's. If it were me I'd try the Berg HD210, or look for an older model Epi PS112, or the new Epi UL3112. I agree with Art on treading lightly in making a change. If you really want to upgrade your rig get rid of the Markbass and SWR stuff and get a Epi Piccolo 600and 2 Epi UL3112's and call it a day.
  7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump Supporting Member

I play a F500 along with a couple of Bergantino AE210. Quite nice. Articulate and still warm.
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Avatar B210 with Neo's. Mine's 4 Ohm and easily handles whatever you want to throw at it. I love this little Cab.
  9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Interesting thoughts...
    As I understand this combination, it is quite scooped, i.e. the "SWR sound". My IOD certainly is.
    Or... is the scooped SWR electronics corrected by the boosted mids of the Eden XLT cabs?

Do you require a "voiced" cab, or a flat and accurate cab like the Acme B-series?

Subscribed.
    [​IMG]
  10. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

True. Very odd form factor. If I were a regular gigging bassist I would probably choose something else simply for ease of transport, setup, and a little higher off of the floor.

And the sound is NOT for everyone, but for those that love it - it is true love.

Here is a clip of my DB112-NT solo:

https://soundcloud.com/solarman-1/aguilar-db112-nt

And in a mix:

https://soundcloud.com/solarman-1/aunt-aggie

Enjoy your pursuit of sonic perfection!

:bassist:
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Nice clips, Solarman!

+1 on the HS210 suggestion. They're out of production, but still pop up from time to time.

FWIW: I'm considering the Berg CN112 because I now have a semi-regular low volume gig up a flight of stairs (might couple it with a TH500). I'd go with Berg over other lightweight options because over the past decade-plus, I've had excellent experience with both products and customer support.
  12. Mark_70

Mark_70

I just bought a Bergantino 112 cabinet and love it!
    yes - it's a bit different sound than the Eden 210 I also have, but "better different".. It's a lot lighther too!
  13. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

I preferred the MarkBass/Bergantino pairing more than the MarkBass/Aguilar pairing. The MB/Berg was just cleaner and had more of an even response. The MB/Aggie was just too boomy for me, but I came from using an SWR SM400 and Goliath 3 stack. I was just more at home with the MB/Berg.
  14. armybass

Thanks so much everyone. I felt like we were gonna go the Berg route. Now to just settle on a 210 or 112. I have more need for a 112 as I have an Avatar 210 that I am really happy with.... Aside from the weight.
  15. Fuzzbass

As threatened, just last night I pulled the trigger on an Aguilar TH500/Bergantino CN112 mini rig. Haven't heard it yet, but I will tonight @rehearsal.

Last Friday I saw a bassist get killer results with a TH500/HT112 mini rig, so I'm sure I'll be happy with TH500/CN112. And I'll have an easier schlep. :p
  16. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I'm sure it'll sound good. Ive used the th500 with a GK Neo 112 with good results.
  17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    There are a number of different Bergantino 1-12 cabinets and they all sound different.

Another candidate - Baer. I've owned/played a bunch of different stuff including Bergantino, Aguilar, Epifani, EA, GK, and the ML112 hits the mark for what I'm going for. Very articulate cabinet, upper-mid forward without being strident, no "mid-hole" that sometimes happens with cabs that are woofer/tweeter. Lots of good cabs, just depends on what kind of tone you're looking for.
  18. Fuzzbass

The Aggie TH500 / Berg CN112 rig absolutely killed @rehearsal tonight! I normally use the mutt "bass rig" (see pic) that's always present in the rehearsal space (drummer's basement). Everyone in the band thought the little rig kicked the big rig's ass.

[​IMG]
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Don't forget the sweet 12" cabs Baer, XSonics, ACME, fEARful, Audiokinesis, and LowPhat are putting out. Cream of the croppers, it all comes down to taste. I wish I could test them all out side-by-side.

20. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Nice clips man... :)

I'm really digging my DB112NT's, and to make life easier on me I did the side feet addition to stack vertical (on their side) to increase height and also found some chair leg rubber feet that slip over the Aggie feet perfectly (snug) to extend them which allows my tone hammer to sit over the handle.

Tough choice op, so many hot cabs right now ;)