1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sell my wick for an Adam Stone custom??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ~Ethan~, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

I've been a Primus fan for several years now and have wanted a CT ever since, but too expensive. (original story huh? i know)

Well I recently found a guy on youtube who plays in a Primus cover band and has reproductions of Les's basses. I checked out Adam Stones website and was surprised to find his basses actaully affordable.
    Now I'm not looking for a replica but rather a custom, you could say my twist on a personal "Rainbow Bass".

Anyways long story short, I currently own a Warwick Thumb BO 6, which I love, but now I'm having serious gas for a CT-esque bass I've always wanted. I've heard nothing but good things about Adam's basses, but I'd like some feedback as to whether I should sell my wick to fund my custom or keep it.

Here's what I've come up with for pros and cons -

Warwick Pros: Distinct Tone, Name brand (quality bass). Unfortunatly that about it, Cons: Weight (can only get through 3-4 songs before major shoulder pain), replacement parts are expensive.

Adam Stone custom Pros: Custom, Direct customer service, fretless/tone, CT/Les look.
    Cons: Probably cost up to around $2000, never played one, wait time to build.

I'm really leaning towards the custom but I dont want to rush into a descision. Thoughts and advice welcome!
  2. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I've unfortunately never owned a warwick. I can say that it seems to me like you're too torn on the issue to sell the warwick. I'd find a way to save up the cash for the Stone.
  3. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

I'd put it on a scale of 1-5: 1 being warwick and 5 Custom, I'm at a 4.
    I think it may just be a sentimental thing. The wick was the first expensive and first 6 string I ever bought, so there's some connection there. If that really is the case then I think I should sell it.

I suppose mainly I just need hands on input from Adam Stone users. If there's more than the one guy I saw on here.

As far as funds go, at the moment I've got no income, I live with my parents so its not really an issue, but I wont be able to get a job until at least november as we are moving out of state soon.
    Everything is taken care of really, so its not like buying a bass is detrimental to our move. Selling the wick is really my only option for getting it, plus I'm trying to cut down on stuff so having two 6 strings possible for me.
  4. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Here is the photoshoped mock up of what I was thinking.

[​IMG]

But then I thought ebony would be way too dark, I don't want an entirely black bass. I think if the fingerboard were different than the body or vice versa it would work.

Then heres another one I did trying to find another body wood. I'm trying to stay away from walnut because I don't want to copy Les's too closely.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?
  5. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I like the darker one better
  6. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

I do too but I see pics of ebony basses and they look almost pitch black and thats not really what I'm going for. Though I think in person it would show the browns more and not look so black.
  7. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

You mentioned walnut, it would be more brown.

You can always use a stain to get the right shade.
  8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

The purple heart will end up being darker than you have pictured, I used it and it's a DEEEP purple. But either way I like the darker one. Try doing strips of yellow wood through the ebony strips?
  9. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

True. I'll give that a try, I've got a pic of yellowheart wood I could use.
  10. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

i kind of know this guy, he works with my wifes good friend. i was told he could fix one of my necks for me but i never looked in to it cuz im always broke. he does really cool stuff though.
  11. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

I stumbled upon this thread. I know it's kind of old at this point...

I'm not sure if it was my Primus tribute band you saw... but yeah, I'm in a Primus tribute band and own Adam Stone basses. His workmanship is stunning!! His basses are just as easy to play as a real Carl Thompson.

So, yeah, save your pennies and get a Stone. His stuff is cheap considering what you get.
  12. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

One other thing you need to consider on this custom- WEIGHT. You mentioned in the original post that the weight of your Warwick Thumb 6er is a problem for you.
    Take into consideration how much bigger this body will be and then remember that pretty much none of the woods you're considering are lightweight. The Thumb is one of Warwick's smaller bodies and the custom looks to be WAY bigger.
    You should probably look into woods like Spanish cedar, poplar, alder and especially swamp ash to help keep the weight down.
    Do yourself a favor and weigh your Warwick. Then contact your builder and ask him if he can realistically get under that weight for you.
  13. ggunn

ggunn

Oh, you mean your WARwick. Usually when guys speak of their "wick", they are referring to something else, something that, in my case, anyway, is not for sale. :D
  14. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

The Adam Stone basses are light. Don't worry about that. I'm not sure how he does it but they don't weigh anything near a Warwick.
  15. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

the youtube poster was leitnerjoe idk if thats you or not.
    thanks for all the input, first hand information is always appreciated.
    now that some time has passed, I've been considering foregoing a 6 string and going with a 4. I'm much happier and more comfortable with my 4 string designs. It might save save me some money too, although I plan to add a tremelo bridge so maybe not. I'll post my design when I get it finished.
  16. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

17. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Pretty col man! That's one of my favorite songs to play.

So here is my shopped mock up of what I'm thinking
    [​IMG]

Through a link to another custom luthier I found a bass with the same woods to give a more relistic look at where I'm going.
    [​IMG]

I'm also thinking about going with a lined fretless on this but not sure yet.
    I know adding the tremolo and fretless options contradict my trying to save money on this but it's probably the only custom bass I'll ever own so I want to make sure I get what I want on it. I added the flame maple center for contrast but also because I thought maybe it would cut cost down a little for less ebony but maybe a solid peice would be easier thus cheaper to do than two sides.
  18. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

I've searched google and the forums and apparently no one has done a fretless bass with a kahler tremolo. Is it not possible, or just not done yet? I know fretless need low action and a tremolo might make the strings hit the fretboard if not set high enough, so would it be impossible to get both to work together?

I did notice some people were saying that a fretless can do what a tremolo can, etc. but whatever that conversation was about its not what I'm after. I want a fretless because I've always wanted on and I love the sound/capabilities. And of course the kahler because of Les Claypool and the funky things possible with it.
  19. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I just caught this thread and have to say it's awesome to see other people finding Adam's basses. I just got one recently and the thing is just mind-blowing. I asked for a poplar core in the body, so the bass is incredibly lightweight, and even had him do some one-of-a-kind work on the headstock. The neck on mine is fairly narrow compared to most basses, but it's surprisingly comfortable. And, of course, it sounds and looks fantastic.

Adam's a super nice guy, and I really can't say enough good things about his work. Here's a video, but I've got to warn you that I'm an atrocious player and don't do the bass justice:
  20. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

You did great man! Nice bass, I like that headstock!

I just sent Adam an email with the specs and pic for a quote.