1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sell or Keep?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FatBottomThump, Dec 17, 2012.

1. FatBottomThump

FatBottomThump

Right now I have a Fender Rumble 15. I want to get a good, warm, thumping tone. Any advice? Should I sell it for a new one? Please keep suggestions under $300.

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

You can only go in one direction - up. Trade, sell... Whatever it takes to get more watts.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

The Fender Rumble 15 is a nice little amp I think if you trade your current amp with Guitar Center you can probably get a nice deal on a Rumble 350,Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000 or a Ampeg Micro-CL.

4. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

GC is the last place you want to try to trade something in at. The most you might get for that is 20-30 bucks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. john m

john m Supporting Member

for a practice/bedroom amp

Buy something used---lots of stuff out there.

7. FatBottomThump

FatBottomThump

I was thinking of an Orange Crush CR50BXT

8. FatBottomThump

FatBottomThump

Or how about the Line 6 LowDown Studio? Or a preamp to put in front of the amp?

9. Russell L

Russell L

As for the Rumble 15, I'd just keep it. It may come in handy for trips and such. Like, I took my Bassman 25 camping once. Playing bass under the stars by the fire was really cool! (Except my bass smelled like wood smoke later, LOL).

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

"Warm, thumping tone". Fender Rumble head's have a dip around 400hz which I think is killing the ability to create a "warm" tone for you. Putting a pre-amp in front of the Fender may help with this, however, that would be a waste of money.

Search used gear and graduate away from combo amps - get separate pieces. Louder and better tone are sure to follow. Getting another combo amp would be great for your bedroom tone, but it is basically a lateral move if you are planning on playing show eventually.

Trade your combo amp for another combo amp and a little money. Maybe an outright trade. craigslist.org is your friend! :bassist:

11. jlepre

jlepre

What are your goals for this? Are you looking for a rig for gigging, or just at home practice solo?

12. FatBottomThump

FatBottomThump

I'm just looking for something for the studio and the occasional small club gig. I can run through a PA.

13. jlepre

jlepre

With a budget of $300 I would definitely look used. Should be at least 300 watts, and 15" speaker min. Ideally you would like to have a separate amp and cab, but that might blow your budget. Oh and a 410 cab would be ideal as well.

Brands?

Look at Acoustic, GK, Hartke or maybe even Peavy. Carvin is another one, but I have no personal experience with that brand.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Any switch made from a small combo to another small combo, will end in disapointment. Much better to either save up a little more, and certainly look at used gear, making the swap to a real bass amp and most importantly, a good spkr cab.