Sell the Jazz or convert to JPJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor J, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

I face a dilemma.

I have a J bass I put together myself. It's a very nice player but I've never quite bonded with it because I never really found a space for it tonally. I have an old ESP which is the King of J Mountain and I've tried to find this one its own sonic space, without real success, it must be said. Currently I have a pair of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in it mated to an ACG John East filter pre. It's interesting, but it's not really making the fellas jangle, if you know what I mean. It's a one piece ash body with the bridge pickup routed closer to the bridge than even 70's standard.

However, I recently struck upon an idea. I have an EMG P pickup and an EMG BTS system which I was going to sell, but I thought why not pick up an EMG J set, route the bass and put the P in reverse between the two Js and install the BTS, moving the output jack to the side? I was thinking a three way switch for the P and neck J and then use the output from that into the BTS blend with the bridge J? That way I could have standard J setup, bridge J & P or a mix of all three.

Stupid idea?

Has anyone done the JPJ thing and, if so, did it ultimately prove useful or should I just sell this puppy and move on?

Here's the victim.

[​IMG]

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You mean like an Urge (or Urge II)? It has been done, but the Urge is only a 30" scale if I recall correctly. Never played one personally but have always want to. I am sure there are other manufacturers doing this, but the Urge is the one that jumps to mind. If you put the bass together yourself I cannot see this mod as costing you a ton of money on the re-sale, I would go for it.

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Yep, like the Urge but I was leaning towards reversing the P - I just like that bit of nasal growl to the lower strings. I've never played an Urge though and would be a bit peeved if there wasn't much extra after the whole endeavour.

4. johnson79

johnson79

That's a nice looking bass! I'd go for it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Sell it and get an xotic jazz.

7. Doctor J

Doctor J

That is the dilemma, you see. I already have one J too many. I'm more looking for the opinion on the usefulness (or lack of) of players with a JPJ setup than adding another J to the stable.

8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

The P pup wont be in the usual P position, so may not sound like your ideal P tone.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'd swap the neck J with a P to have the pickup in the right place

10. Doctor J

Doctor J

True, but that's partly why it appeals to me, I don't really want a regular P sound... and partly why I think it might also be a bad idea :D

If I reverse the P, the E&A pickup will be bang in line with where the centre of a MM Stingray pickup would be and this intrigues me. Then again, a P in a Stingray position... hmmmmm... the downside is whatever resale value is in it dies if I screw it up but, on the other hand, there could be some interesting sounds in there which would make me pick it up more. I need to get a mug of tea and have a think.

11. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Then go for it. What do you have to lose?

IMO, sounding the same as everyone else is overrated. Who cares if your P doesn't sound exactly like a standard P? If it's less than 1/2" off, I seriously doubt anybody could tell the difference anyway.

But that's just me.

12. selowitch

selowitch

The Urge actually comes in two scale lengths, 32" (medium) and 34" (long). There has never been a 30" (short) Urge bass to my knowledge.

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

I'm 100% with you there :)

14. groove pump

groove pump

My #1 bass is a parts Jazz with an attractive old ESP body, Warmoth neck, and passive Ultra J's (no preamp in there). I just might be buried with this rig!!!

The only reason I'm thinking don't add the P to that bass is that you don't really have the bonding with it that you want at this point. Even if you alter the electronics, you've still got the same player in your hands, right?

I've kept one or two basses around for an extra stay when they gave me only mediocre sound, but played like buttah. If it doesn't fit and play really well for me, it eventually goes out the door.

In the plus column, that's a sharp rig. I'll bet you can get a deal that will make you happy.