Seller beware! Ebay final value fee 10%

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dcb504, Feb 22, 2014.

1. dcb504

dcb504

Holy $#!t, just sold a guitar on ebay, its been a while. Ebay now charges a final value fee of 10%! Actually had to pay 13% with final value fee and paypal fees. Shame on me, will never do that again. Just wanted to give people a heads up in case you were unaware, as I was.
  2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I guess if you can sell it for 15-25% more than local it would work out, otherwise craigslist or TB.
  3. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

It's been like that for years.
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yeah, eBay is no longer the person-to-person internet garage sale it used to be. It's big business now, and that's who it mainly works for, people who use it for businesses.

I have a Gibson Robot guitar for auction on eBay at the moment. If it sells for around the $900.00 mark, I'll owe eBay around $100.00. Then I included free shipping.

I must be nuts.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's a business. They have their terms.

Check the terms, then either do business there or don't.
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Recently I sold a couple basses. I was going to put them on ebay but after crunching the numbers I just subtracted the fees and shipping and listed them on CL for that low price and they moved right away.
    I had cash in my hand and the buyers were very happy.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A sound strategy, hdracer!...at least for those in areas with a decent sized population.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Sleepers beware! Sun rises in east in morning!

Even with a 13% vig, ebay gets you the most money for whatever you're selling. You wanna cry? Try selling something on consignment and see what the store takes!
  10. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Or on CL.

I gladly pay the 13% to eliminate/minimize the BS factor from FTF.
  11. IPA

IPA

It's pretty much either TB, eBay or selling to GC at a loss for me. I really hate dealing with craigslist people as a seller. I'd rather sell it to GC for half the price than deal with some of those creeps.

If it's bass related stuff I'm selling, I'd much rather pay to sub to TB than eBay.
  12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have sold everything from musical instruments to household stuff, motorcycles and parts and car parts on CL for the past ten years and do not have a clue what you are talking about.

There are a few bad apples but for the most part I have met some cool people.
  13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I love that these threads pop up every few weeks "OMG I sold something without checking the clearly listed costs"

Whinge.
  14. dcb504

dcb504

Clearly listed costs? You don't know what you are typing about. I've sold many items on Ebay. As I originally posted, it has been a good while. The final value fee used to be 4%. When I listed my guitar on Ebay last week, the seller fees were listed as 0, so I listed the ad.

Anyhow, I have found this forum to be very helpful, with many informative contributors. I was just trying to make a contribution as well, hoping to educate other forum members and raise awareness of the unexpectedly high cost of selling an item on ebay.

Its a shame users post stupid responses such as: "the sun rises in the east".
  15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

13% with Paypal fees? That's great news! All this time I had mistakenly thought it was 14%.

Selling music gear on CL is out for me. I don't like dealing with knuckleheads, scammers, potential home robbers, or people who come to check out my item, but don't have any money. Or just as bad, the "no-shows".

Other stuff like tools, golf clubs, etc....no problem. Just not music gear.
  16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

0? Presumably that's your listing fee, not the final value fee, considering you've sold many items on ebay you'd have known that they aren't the same thing (not to mention the paypal cut/double dip isn't news either). If you have sold many items on ebay surely you should have taken some common sense and CHECKED what costs you'd incur?

As mentioned, this isn't the first time someone has whinged about ebay...because they've failed to read into the costs of a service they were using.

It's a shame users post threads highlighting their stupidity :p
  17. blue4

blue4

Yep
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I buy sell and trade a lot of r/c hobby stuff and ebay is my main outlet. I get way more than any other place I can list it and I generally don't have as many "knuckleheads" to deal with.

That said, I also use CL often enough to be a semi regular user and with very few exceptions I've never had any problems I didn't have in the pre internet days when I sold stuff through classifieds.

Bottom line, selling is work just like any other job. Do your due diligence and expect to deal with the occasional goofball and it's really not such a bad way to make a little mad money from the crap you no longer love like you once did.